• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dabowles

Questions about C++ and Visual C++

This topic is 6022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a couple of questions that some of you may can answer. First and foremost: I''m learning C++ now via two books Practical C++ By Rob McGregor and C++ Primer Plus 3rd Ed. by Stephen Prata. The thing is, both of these books say in the beginning that all of the code can be compiled in Visual C++ 5.0 or higher, Borland C++, and other GPL C++ compilers. And, I understand both books cover ANSI/ISO C++ standards. Is there a book that teaches you all of the features of the Visual C++ 6.0 IDE as well as Microsofts own add-ons like MFCs, etc? I look on the top 15 book list and there are no books listed explicitly as Visual C++. Another question that comes to mind. I currently have a copy of Visual C++ 6 Standard Edition. Being that I am wanting to learn game programming, is Standard Edition fine enough, or should I go as far as to buy Professional Edition? My second question is: Is there any good tutorials that explain Pointers, and concepts associated with pointers? I am a little confused about it. I have read both texts on the concept of pointers but I need one or two more good sources just so I can get it straight in my head. Thanks for your time, David Bowles

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by dabowles
Another question that comes to mind. I currently have a copy of Visual C++ 6 Standard Edition. Being that I am wanting to learn game programming, is Standard Edition fine enough, or should I go as far as to buy Professional Edition?

Standard is more than good enough.
quote:
Original post by dabowles
My second question is: Is there any good tutorials that explain Pointers, and concepts associated with pointers? I am a little confused about it.

No one understands pointers when they first read about them. The only way to really understand them is to use them. Try writing a linked list, it''s a very pointer intensive (yet relatively basic) data structure.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!