• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GameDev135

Problem with loading meshes

This topic is 6111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have created different meshes using 3d studio max. They load without any errors in direct3d. However, they are always entirely gray instead of colored the way that they are drawn. What would cause this to happen and how can I fix it? Could it be that I don''t have a light enabled?

Advertisement
It definitely has something to do with not loading the textures properly.

That is what I am confused about though. The textures are separate files? How to I get the texture file. All that I made was a bunch of shapes with colors. That needs a texture? Please explain to me how meshes work and how to use textures.

Also is there a book that you could recommend to teach 3d studio max to me?

You need to draw a bitmap or something and texture your models or they will show up in all one color (usually gray if you have multiple colors). You also can''t use the textures specific to MAX like Cellular, Bricks, etc. There''s nothing outside of MAX that uses that type of texture information.

Unless you''re using lit vertices (the diffuse color information provided in the vertices), you''ll have to create a material with the same properties as in 3ds max for each D3DXMesh you created.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!