• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xingo

Starting any game

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, since i was 14 i had been tring to make a game jumping to language to language. C++ to Java to Qbasic to C++ again to Java to Python then jumped into 3d modeling using blender and made a simple game. That was where i got a little taste of making a game. The I jumped back to python where i found pygame and I made my first tilebased map and a sprite (not animated). That is what I got my first real tase of how hard it is to make a game. Now I am 16 and I am just lost... I am not sure what I want to do anymore. I want to make a complete game but am still lost in all these languages.I even tasted pascal. So far all i know is, I hate c++, Java (to confusing oop). As for python well thats where I want to make sure. I use c++ becuase it can make .exe and well thats what i want. I want to be able to make a game and not have the play being stuck downloading and complieing all this crap to play a simple game. So i that where pascal came in. Not I am even lost more. One of the very reasons why, i dont like (yet use it for some time)c++ was becuase there where so many damn compliers and only one I could really use was Dev-c++. But most off was installing headers... I had and still have no idea how todo so. Heh kinda getting off topic. Anyways Would anyone recommend strongly their fav language? I I dont care how long it takes to comply or even it there is no editor in it, I am mainly looking on how good it is. Anther reason of c++ was windows initlizing and programming boy was it a pain. Yet another thing that scared me from windows was grpahics only thing i knew i could use to make graphics was opengl, and I am shooting for a 2d not a 3d (not yet anyways) So from this super long post I hope i would kinda get some replies from yah ^_^.

Advertisement
Passion is good. Professionalism is better. Experience takes the cake. You have the first, you're working on the second, and the third comes of the first two.

SO, here's the deal: use C/C++. I know it's a pain in the patooshka to learn, especially Win32 API if you haven't taken more than an interested glance at it, BUT, it's what everyone uses, okay? I mean everyone , almost without exception.

People think I'm crazy, but I love Dev-C++. It has a cozy IDE, it's reasonably fast and small, and it is amazingly stable. The only thing MSVC is better at is clogging your hard drive, overwriting your source files with linker output, and generally screwing you into using it, because it's the industry standard. For now, use Dev-C++; it works.

You need references. Click "For Beginners" at the top of this page, and give it a quick read. You'll find what you need to get yourself started out on the right foot as a game developer. Aside from that, this topic has been discussed hundreds of times on these forums, so browse around, and, most importantly, stick to it.

Later,
ZE

EDITED for spelling. ((Look below me! It's a double-post from a MSVC user! How ironic...))

Edited by - ZealousElixir on December 27, 2001 12:34:44 AM

In my oppinion Visual C++ is the best you can go for making games. I think you can get the compiler for about $90 also. That''s what I have and I love it.

- Jesse

In my oppinion Visual C++ is the best you can go for making games. I think you can get the compiler for about $90 also. That''s what I have and I love it.

- Jesse

MSVC is my choice, but find what is comfortable for you, as chances are you arent like me

Also, its perfectly acceptable to use OpenGL for 2D graphics. After all, it was originally built as a 2D graphics library.

-----------------------
0wn 0wn 0wn your goat
gently down the pw33n

It depends on what you want to do. If your are planning on going into the industry professionally then your only options are pretty much C and C++. That doesn''t mean that you have to start with it however. A lot of people disagree on whether to start out with C/C++ or not, I personally think that it depends a lot on the person.

If you just want to make a few games as a hobby then your choices are much wider. Python isn''t a bad choice using Pygame. I''m pretty sure that you can turn your games into executables to with it too. There should be something on the site Pygame about it.

Java''s also another possibility although you''ll probably find this too similar to C++.

I don''t know much about what''s available for Pascal in terms of libraries so I can''t really comment on it although I don''t think there are many people using it for games programming so you might not find much support.

You could also give Visual Basic a try, it has a clear easy to understand syntax and is pretty powerful although a little slow. But that shouldn''t be an issue if you are writing a 2D game. There''s also quite a lot of support out there for it so it might be worth a look. It''s not free however.

Or you could try one of the many game specific programming languages out there like DarkBASIC, Jamagic, DIV Studio, 3D Games Studio, etc. They generally use easy to understand languages and have a lot of built in functionality geared especially towards games so you don''t have to write it all yourself.

I personally think Jamagic is a very good choice in this area and would heavy recommend it. It''s a very powerful tool and uses an easy to understand scriptting language. Check out the trial version and see what you think. However it is quite expensive. DarkBasic is also pretty good and is a lot cheaper.

Anyway, hope this helps

- Kaijin

Guest Anonymous Poster
I recommend BlitzBasic (www.blitzbasic.com). It is quite simple, and when you register it, you are able to create .exe files. Give it a try. There is also a BlitzBasic 3d, but you mentioned, that you were going to make a 2d-game.

I used Visual Basic for about a year, then i tried Delphi (pascal) for some months, and then i started with MSVC++. To me, it was great to start with VB. It''s easy, and you learn the basics of programming pretty easy. It''s also OK to use for 2d-games and applications. Delphi is (in my opinion) quite unnecessary to learn, jump right on to C++ after VB.

Hope this helps..

/Andreas

Hi,

I'm also 16 (actually it's my birthday today and I'm now 17!), but I thought I'd just add my thoughts.

My first language was VB when I was about 13, and I made loads of pointless, already done 100x programs, which taught me a bit about Windows and programming.

But I didn't really go anywhere until I started on C++ when I was about 15. I found VB was teaching me bad habits, such as poor program design because it's so easy just to jump into it and start coding without prior thought.

I'm not against VB; I find it useful for coding very quick, small programs, but for anything else I use C++, or if I want a challenge, ASM. The finished program nearly always functions better and it is easier to read and understand the code (in my experience). Although, I do know of some good games that have been done in VB.....

I'd have to say that if you want to go anywhere professional in programming, you'll have to learn C++. If you're just in it for the enjoyment and challenge factors, then stuff what anyone else says, do what you most enjoy, whether that's VB, Python or whatever.......

On compilers, I've always used Microsoft Visual C++, because my dad had it installed when I started programming, as he used it, so naturally I used it. I can't give opinions on other compilers, because I've never used them.

C++ isn't really as complicated as people make out. As long as you start simply (start with plain old C), and build up to things like classes and templates, then you should be fine. It will take time though, but you will get there in the end. Another thing, don't try learning any graphics APIs until you know your chosen language well first! That's just suicide, you will become overwhelmed and confused.

Good Luck with your programming and I hope the new year brings success to you all,

Richard Hayden.

Edited by - rahaydenuk on December 31, 2001 12:46:05 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!