• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

Is it okay to still use Direct Draw?

This topic is 6022 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay I am beginning to really get into Direct X... but with the newer versions I am finding it hard to understand what to use... Is it still okay for me to use Direct Draw with DX8.1? The reason I want to use Direct Draw is that I can find almost no information on direct3d graphics for doing 2D games and I''m not ready to learn all that 3D stuff! So what do you think I should do? I really do need some guidance now... - Jesse

Advertisement
DirectDraw will be around for a long time, because tons of existing games use it. Just don''t expect to see new versions of it.

-Brannon

Argus: Well, at least as long as Microsoft wants to

drdarkon: I''m still using DDraw only, and it works for me. Change to D3D whenever you feel good about it - right now I''m scared as hell by the 2d math, who knows what horrors are lurking in the lands of 3d? :b

Yeah, DirectX is fully backwards compatible because its modeled using COM(Component Object Model). And according to the COM specifications, DirectX has to be fully backwards compatible for both compiling programs using it, and running. Meaning if I run a program that uses DX7 and I have DX8 it will work. Also if I have the DX8 SDK I can compile a DX7 program.

Also DirectX 8 sort of have DirectDraw like functionality. It have surfaces, and (I think) blitting functions. I have used surfaces in a few programs but on the basics. I am using DirectDraw right now for 2D though and reverting back to DX version 6.

To answer the question simply put...yes it definitely worth using DirectDraw. In fact I think a lot of games should come out in 2D being that a lot of games should be focued on gameplay and not graphics. And if all of you effort is going to the graphics, gameplay is going to be sacrificed and the game will not be as good. I think you can still write killer games in 2D and add tons of features with the time saved not using 3D and the jumbo that comes with it.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!