• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xingo

Using Dev-C++ to make games.....

This topic is 6018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just about no money, i am 16 ^_^ no job yet. Anyways I used Dev-C++ a while back and was good until i got to tring to make game. I was just lost! How would i make 2d grpahics 13h(i am not sure even to use headers!) And this is what my post of about. Only thing that worked was open gl and i was learning from nehe but most of the stuff dont work in Dev-C++. Then i used python, sooo much easier. I mean i just unzipped pygame into python and boom! i was off making my first game in 2d. But theres only 1 true python as well as Java so there is no hard thinking of which free complier to use. Well i rember seeing something special for Dev-C++ and using directx but cant remeber where. Anyways I am tring to create a 3d game and I saw this one editor i complied in Dev-C++ and everything worked! I was so amased usally anything with any other complier always gives some error when compling! Anyways I would I start using grpahics in Dev-C++? 13h(how i ever get headers for it?) opengl(fake 2d) directx(is it even supported?) Its like everything has to be MSVC++ 6 and well it wont complie with Dev-C++ so i am kinda mad for that main reason

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
you could use allegro, i know for sure it works with your compiler.
www.allegro.cc for more info

You can use OpenGL with Dev-C++. There is also a special DirectX package available here: http://www.gamap.cz/tutors/directx/download/dx4devc.zip

It seems to me, however, that you''re kind of a novice when it comes to game development, so I''d probably point you over to Allegro, SDL, or CDX. You can very easily use SDL and CDX on Dev-C++, and you can find precompiled versions of Allegro for Dev-C++ over the Internet. Good luck!

Johnny Watson
Owner/Main Programmer Vigasotech, Inc.

Another option is to download the Platform SDK from Microsoft. It is free, but big(~230MB). It contains all the files you need to develop for windows. You can download it here. This will allow you to use any compiler and still build a Windows program. If you want to use DirectX, you will also have to download the SDK for that as well. It is here. It is also big(~173MB). If you want to do OpenGL, that comes with the Platform SDK, so you don't need to download the DirectX SDK.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

Edited by - CaptainJester on December 28, 2001 10:02:06 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!