• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Striker222

x*fov/z - Alternatives to this equation for drawing in 3d?

This topic is 6193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well this equation is working, however, if your fov is low you get elongated objects, and if you set it high, you get squashed images. Really FOV is the focus, not the field of view. What equation accualy uses a field of vision not just a focus?

Advertisement
If you set your field of view to anything other than 45 degrees(I think 45), you will get that effect, because if you go wide angle, say 90, you have to squeeze a lot more into the same space, so it is squished.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

Hmmm...45 degrees makes it pretty screwy. But like I said, im not really dealing in degrees here, im dealing in the focus..

Basicaly im entering how far away something has to be to be in correct porportion.

I know thats not how I wanna do things, and im missing something major in the equation or something=/

The field of view is really a clipping issue. The field of view and the aspect ratio determines the sides of the clipping volume. You then also have a near and far plane that determines where things are clipped. If you don''t clip things at the near plane it is going to look pretty screwy. Particularly if it gets behind the camera.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!