Text Blitter (none GDI) help

Started by
1 comment, last by leggyguy 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, my DirectX game currently uses GDI for it''s text (it features lots of text) and I am very mindful of the speed issues inherent with the use of GDI. So I am about to begin removing the GDI functions, and implement some of my own functions to do the same job. Anyway, I guess I can make a text blitter which uses DirectX blitting techniques and a text bitmap surface featuring my different fonts. However, I am wondering if there is anything already prepared for us, because I am sure that this is a very common problem. Perhaps someone has already addresed this problem and made something (text bitmaps and code, though that isn''t absolutely necessary) available to us. Does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, where we can find the code or articles in which this is addressed. If there is nothing available, I shall make my own functions and bitmaps, but I can see this taking two or three days. Any time saver would be fantastic.
Advertisement
My plan is to use the GDI to draw the entire font onto an off-screen Dx surface, and blit the characters from that. I think there is an article or two about fonting...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
If you plan to make bitmaps of fonts and then make your own functions to write them to screen you may be interested in an application from this page http://www.lmnopc.com/ that makes fonts into a bitmap for you. A great time saver.

Ballistic Programs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement