Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GameDev135

Problem with getting textures from 3d studio max

This topic is 6108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I have gone to www.3dcafe.com and downloaded a couple of different files, for instance a basketball. I downloaded a zip which has a *.max file and a *.tga file. When I open the *.max file, it shows the basketball. However, when I convert it to a .x file, it is just an orange circle (without the seams). The *.tga file has the texture for the seams and I have put that in the same folder as the .x file, however it still doesn''t work. I have this same problem with external textures on every 3d mesh that I try to load. Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I''m having the same problem. For some reason, when converting from .max to .x it doesn''t make any texture co-ordinates in the .x file, which is why it will just show the whole object as one color (i think the colour of the first pixel of the texture that''s applied to it). I wish Microsoft''s plug-in for 3dmax would actually work =[.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
When converting to a .x file, make sure you convert it to a text based .x. Then open the file in Notepad, look for the texture filenames and check out the path. Make sure the textures are in that directory.

There is nothing wrong with the 3ds Max exporter. In 3d Studio Max there are various way of changing the coordinates. Though only one way is supported via the export.
I am not an artist, so I dont really know how to do it. So check out a few tutorials on the net on making meshes for games via 3ds Max.

The Microsoft Exporter works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately, the *.tga file already is in the same directory that was referenced in the *.x file. It still is unable to find the texture. Is it possible that I have to use a relative reference (I.E. just "bball.tga instead of C:\WINDOWS\Desktop.....\bball.tga") instead of an absolute reference? Right now it is an absolute reference. Thanks for helping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I looked at the ASCII .x file, and the texture is loaded just fine, but in that file there are no texture co-ordinates. I followed the instructions that came with the exporter and made sure that all mesh transformations were collapsed so there''s only one transform, the mesh, but when I export there are still no texture co-ordinates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok..I believe my problem results from my c++ code. I opened the *.tga file and when I turned off the alpha channel, I got the exact image that I get when I run the program. I am using the engine for loading meshes that that The Zen of Direct3d Game Programming uses. (I have also added a couple of lines to output debug messages so that whenever it loads textures it outputs the specific texture that it has loaded.) So where can I find a Mesh engine that is capable of displaying the alpha channel. It is also possible that the problem with the Zen Engine is only in rendering. Anyway, if anyone can help, thanks.

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!