• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amemorex

Would any of you guys be able to program Napster?

This topic is 6112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering.. How many of you guys could have programmed Napster? Was it that big of a programming achievement, or merely a good idea put into place? Or is the programming behind Napster a little too complex? Just wondering how smart those 2 guys behind Napster really were (programming-wise).

Advertisement
It was 95% opportunity (the right idea at the right time), and 5% skill.

Actually, make that 97% and 3%.

Something like Morpheus takes a little more, because it's not just a centralized server (easy as cake), but distributed nodes. And features such as downloading from multiple sources, although not a new idea, does take a little thinking to get done correctly and nicely.

Edited by - pretender on December 28, 2001 9:40:20 PM

IMHO, as said before, the IDEA and TIMING were great but the tech going into isnt new. Heck the gnutella network has been there before and it was more advanced technologicaly (distributed). I guess I could do it too if I brushed up on my networking skills.

Of course I never tried to do a napster clone so I might have surprises ^_^.

Edited by - Dark Rain on December 29, 2001 10:33:30 AM

I remember there being a slashdot article about the technical problems with Napster, namely that because of the query design you can only have access to an incredibly small portion of a net at a time.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!