Creating Textures For Low Polygon Game Characters?

Started by
6 comments, last by mavric 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I`m 16 years and enjoy programming games. My latest project is a 3D game. I can create the low polygon characters in 3D Studio Max 4 and I know how to texture wrap them. My problem is to create a detailed texture like the ones used in Max Payne or Quake. Their textures look like they made detailed models and somehow unfolded them, rendered, and used that image to texture the low polygon game characters. How do they create those textures? Thanks. Edited by - mavric on December 28, 2001 12:52:50 AM
Advertisement
select your model, click on "Modifiers" tab then select Unwrap_UVW (checkered board icon) then click on "edit"

--bart
I had some trouble figuring out how that was done as well; go to http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/chilliskinner/ . It was a big help to me.
i think what he wants to know is how to actually paint the textures...

and you could wright several books on everything you would need to know how to do that. i believve there are several websites out there on how to do that in variouse stages, dont recall them off hand but its all pretty much understanding texture and painting techniques in photoshop though ide recommend knowing regular traditional p[ainting techniques as well it makes things much easier. also a mouse is usually to constricting to make fine detailed paint strokes to get desired textures so a graphics tablate becomes helpful. a couple books you may want to invest in are texturing and painting published by new riders as well as photoshops texture fx book it is geared at ps 5 but is easily adapted to 6. also another option (though widely looked down upon) is to use scanned images(photoreal) and touch them up in ps to fit your model. some also do create high polygon detailed models unfold them render it and map it on. the easiest way to texture is the scanned images, the better IMHO is to learn to paint with ps

Edited by - maxcraxx on December 29, 2001 9:23:16 PM
One of the more interesting techniques involves putting a meshsmooth modifier on your low poly model, applying lights and then outputting the results to your texture map.

what you get is a shadow map to use as a basis for making your skin. Rather ingenious, really.
Have you anymore detail on that technique, i''ve heard of that before...

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Wait, you''re 16 and you have 3DSMAX? Are your parents rich, or did you get it by certain underground sources?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Wait, you''re 16 and you have 3DSMAX? Are your parents rich, or did you get it by certain underground sources?

Have the legal 3dsmax, the student version or the illegal version, is not relevant!. The artistic talent is over the money!.

-----------------------------------------------
<marquee></marquee>
"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement