A Mathematical moron writes...

Started by
3 comments, last by Mugwump 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello all, having just begun on my new quest into the uncharted seas of programming i am wondering if i should return to port. having read some articles and a few on line help guides - the whole thing is starting to look horribly complicated. as a mathematical moron and a phailng physicist can i possibly hope to succeed with boundless enthusiasm and a history degree? I would be grateful for any constructive remarks or helpful words - especially from those out there who may be coming from the same angle as me.
Advertisement
just do it!
youll learn as you go along, and math is a big part of 3D but you can program just fine without much of it, and if you really put your mind to it those matrices and cosines will all fall into place one day. Don''t rush it, let it take time and understand what you''re doing and youll be fine.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Well, the seas of programming are hardly uncharted! And indeed, it may seem like the journey is initially hard-going, but the sea gets calmer as you move farther from the shore

And the reason it looks horribly complicated is that you probably started out with the wrong materials - I strongly recommend getting a beginner''s book on the subject. Books tend to make more sense and they usually guide you through the material at a good slow pace, one where you will understand everything every step of the way.

And programming largely isn''t mathematical! In fact, for most of what I do programming-wise I haven''t needed any math knowledge above advanced algebra! And frankly, unless you write applications that have the word ''Math'' in their title, I doubt you ever will need any advanced math knowledge either. Programming is an exercise in your logic skills, not your math skills. As long as you can give good directions, programming will be easy

So have no fear ... get a good book and it will guide you on a straight course - and believe me, the journey is well worth the struggle, and I hope you will find that to be true as well
h20, member of WFG 0 A.D.

Such kind and reassuring words thanks. weigh anchor...
A general idea of learning programming:

The best form of anti-complication medicines are read & code.

Imagine, as you read, you are learning each individual LEGO cube
and when you code, you are grouping an infinite set of LEGO cubes
together in a meaningful way.

At times, you may feel that some blocks are more complicated than
others... well, put it this way, every LEGO cube exist for a
reason. Find that reason and it will help you understand.

This was what my lecturer told me. Newbie sav.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement