• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-RaVeN-

C or C++

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey im currently learning C++. I realized that OpenGL and WinAPI are in C and im wondering if i should stop C++ and start C , cuz i want to do OpenGL later on. Also does any1 know of any opengl books that r in C++? thanks

Advertisement
The truth of the matter is, is that it is really up to you. I personally use both C and C++. Most functions I use in C are for files and such, and I only use C++ because I like classes.

If you know C++, then your allready set. I would recommend learning the basic ways to open a file in C if your going to get really in-depth with OpenGL, but that''s about it.

And remember, both are basically the same languages: One uses iostream, one uses stdio. One has struct''s, one has classes.

~Dwarf

PS Don''t think that OpenGL doesn''t use structs too, so its really a combination of both.

quote:
Original post by Dwarf with Axe
One has struct''s, one has classes.

Actually, they both use structs.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

C++ = C + more stuff
The choice isn't really whether you learn C or C++ it's whether you learn C or C+some. So when it comes to OpenGL programming you can do it in C++ just the same as you would in C except you could use some of the added features of C++ if you so chose.

-Micah

Edited by - MicahM on December 28, 2001 11:39:21 PM

>>hey im currently learning C++. I realized that OpenGL and WinAPI are in C and im wondering if i should stop C++ and start C<<

theres nothing stopping u using opengl with c++ or any other language fwiw i use primarly c++ + i believe 80percent of ppl also do

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

Ok c is c++ but c++ is not c. That is the most basic way to put it, so anything you do in c can be done with c++ using pretty much the same source code. Including using opengl. So go ahead with the c++ stuff and if you would like learn the differences between c and c++ so that if you wanted to you could program in strict c.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.

I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.

"If you''''re gonna die, die with your boots on"

And it all depends on specifics too.

Cross-platform languages such as C (which is used in Windows and Linux I believe) is fast, easy, and well, cross-platform.

C++ is limited to it''s Windows environment (If I''m not mistaken).

Let''s not start a war about C vs. C++!

The truth is that it''s up to you. I personally agree with "I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.". That is very true.

If I were you, and this is what I did, read some C tutorials, get a handle for the basics, and then smack yourself in the face with www.cplusplus.com tutorials.

Yer axe ain''t as big as me beard,
~Dwarf

quote:
Original post by Dwarf with Axe
C++ is limited to it''s Windows environment (If I''m not mistaken).

You''re wrong. C and C++ compilers exist on every environment you could possibly imagine.

quote:
Original post by Gelmir
I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.

Bah! http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#prerequisite

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!