C or C++

Started by
8 comments, last by -RaVeN- 22 years, 3 months ago
hey im currently learning C++. I realized that OpenGL and WinAPI are in C and im wondering if i should stop C++ and start C , cuz i want to do OpenGL later on. Also does any1 know of any opengl books that r in C++? thanks
Advertisement
The truth of the matter is, is that it is really up to you. I personally use both C and C++. Most functions I use in C are for files and such, and I only use C++ because I like classes.

If you know C++, then your allready set. I would recommend learning the basic ways to open a file in C if your going to get really in-depth with OpenGL, but that''s about it.

And remember, both are basically the same languages: One uses iostream, one uses stdio. One has struct''s, one has classes.

~Dwarf

PS Don''t think that OpenGL doesn''t use structs too, so its really a combination of both.
----------[Development Journal]
quote:Original post by Dwarf with Axe
One has struct''s, one has classes.

Actually, they both use structs.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
C++ = C + more stuff
The choice isn't really whether you learn C or C++ it's whether you learn C or C+some. So when it comes to OpenGL programming you can do it in C++ just the same as you would in C except you could use some of the added features of C++ if you so chose.

-Micah

Edited by - MicahM on December 28, 2001 11:39:21 PM
>>hey im currently learning C++. I realized that OpenGL and WinAPI are in C and im wondering if i should stop C++ and start C<<

theres nothing stopping u using opengl with c++ or any other language fwiw i use primarly c++ + i believe 80percent of ppl also do

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
Ok c is c++ but c++ is not c. That is the most basic way to put it, so anything you do in c can be done with c++ using pretty much the same source code. Including using opengl. So go ahead with the c++ stuff and if you would like learn the differences between c and c++ so that if you wanted to you could program in strict c.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.

"If you''''re gonna die, die with your boots on"
"If you''re gonna die, die with your boots on"
And it all depends on specifics too.

Cross-platform languages such as C (which is used in Windows and Linux I believe) is fast, easy, and well, cross-platform.

C++ is limited to it''s Windows environment (If I''m not mistaken).

Let''s not start a war about C vs. C++!

The truth is that it''s up to you. I personally agree with "I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.". That is very true.

If I were you, and this is what I did, read some C tutorials, get a handle for the basics, and then smack yourself in the face with www.cplusplus.com tutorials.

Yer axe ain''t as big as me beard,
~Dwarf
----------[Development Journal]
quote:Original post by Dwarf with Axe
C++ is limited to it''s Windows environment (If I''m not mistaken).

You''re wrong. C and C++ compilers exist on every environment you could possibly imagine.
quote:Original post by Gelmir
I have no idea how anyone could learn C++ whitout C.

Bah! http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#prerequisite

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement