• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-RaVeN-

C or C++

This topic is 6114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey im currently learning C++. I realized that OpenGL and WinAPI are in C and im wondering if i should stop C++ and start C , cuz i want to do OpenGL later on. Also does any1 know of any opengl books that r in C++? thanks

Advertisement
Flame BAIT! Anybody going to bite?

Anyways, C++ fully supports C, it basically built upon that...I believe that you''ll soon see that your not hurting yourself, because while you learn C++ your learning C.

you''ll eventually see that as you start to understand more

learn qbasic. lol.

j/k. on a serious note it really depends on problem you are trying to solve and the size of the project.

i would suggest you learn c before you try to tackle c++. makes sense, don''t it.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

If you know C++, you know C. C++ = C + Object Oriented programming.

C++ is better but strange enough Quake 2 was written in C.

Before you dig into c++, it would help to know how to program in C. That''s not a requirement of course, but it might help you better understand some c++ concepts. I would recommend you to get Bruce Eckel''s Thinking in C++ book, which is also freely downloadable at http://www.bruceeckel.com/.

Just my 2 cents....

Damjan Mozetic
Rhuantavan Project

Guest Anonymous Poster
even quake 3 arena is coded in C....

(maybe im not completely right, but im sure that there is no word like "class" in the code, all you see is "struct", wich is C)

quote:
from George2:
C++ is better but strange enough Quake 2 was written in C.

Not strange at all. Carmack has been coding in straight C since DOOM. Undeniably, if you use C++, you should use the features it offers, such as polymorphism, inheritance, etc. I believe that you can write a game without these features (actually, I know that, because 1000s of them have been), and have it be faster than its OOP equivalent. C++ has its pitfalls when not used by someone well-versed in its anomalies.

quote:
from Jenova:
i would suggest you learn c before you try to tackle c++. makes sense, don''t it.

No, actually it doesn''t. C is a subset of C++ for the most part, and C++, being OOP, allows for more organized, powerful programs. The only thing specific to C that one should learn is the stdio library, if only to see why streams came about.

Anyway, I''m not trying to incite rage against anyone, just stating my opinion. Take it or leave it, but don''t hate me for it.

Later,
ZE.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!