• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GelfTheElf

Advice: Good order of things to learn...

This topic is 6107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to get into Direct3D programming. What is a good order to go in. I''m pretty savy finding things on the net as well as just drudging through help files and msdn (my second home). I''m using the DirectX 8 SDK. So far I can init Direct3D -Gelf

Advertisement
Start with the tutorial samples. Once you understand them, try adding to them little by little (add more triangles, different matrices, etc.) Eventually, you''ll be able to branch out.

Also, it may sound strange, but get the OpenGL "red book". It''s great for the conceptual basics and you should have a relatively easy time translating to DX8.

I don''t understand he should get away from the Microsoft framework as soon as possible. Most of the code that I have seen in Demos and Book that doesn''t use the framework is not that flexible for getting started. For example, most of the non framework sample code does not seem to change graphics modes easily. If you alt-tab in out of you application it tend to fail.

I am sure that you could write better code than the framework, but for getting started fast and debugging flexibility I find it works pretty good. Just my opinion.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Buy a book. (Wolfgang Engels book is good)

Make small modifications until you have crashed the system enough to understand what everything does.

And rename everything using typedef to make DirectX human-readable:

typedef LPDIRECT3DDEVICE8 Device;
and so on...

Using typedef was the single biggest improvement i made using DX

I also think you should ditch the framework asap.

Hmmm - yeah, i just think it makes things a *lot* more complicated than they have to be. Firing up a DirectX windows is a piece of cake (he says now ). For beginners, you don't need all the other stuff. Plus, you have to comply with the frameworks' rules, which means learning rules that will be useless in the future.

(I wonder what happens with Alt-Tab on my demo....? fubar (i will fix that for the next version, thanks for the reminder!))

http://www.geocities.com/streampark - WayOut Engine v00.2
'That's it man, game over man, game over' - Aliens
brb

Edited by - streampark on December 29, 2001 9:21:44 PM

Edited by - streampark on December 29, 2001 10:40:09 PM

Although, there are pluses to the custom code a well.

I would agree with the Anonymous poster that Wolfgang Engels book is good. Probably the best 3D Book available for Direct3D 8.0. It will get you started if you have a background in DirectX and C++. I also have the Zen book, it is not that good, but there are very few books that cover DirectX 8.0 and it does help to give you some ideas and fill in a few gaps.

Wolfgang Engels Book teaches and uses the Framework which will help you understand the Microsoft Samples. There are also lots of good samples on the Web.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!