• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xingo

Being a Lonewolf

This topic is 6193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have joined 3 team and all 3 I have quit. Why? I had joined the first one as a learner, they said you can learn with us...That only lasted 1 week. The next was a concept artist and 3d modler. That last 2 weeks and I quit becuase I felt I was not good enough for that team. And the 3rd was 3d modler and I quit that too but becuase of no movement. So now I stand by myself at the same position I was 2 years ago but with a newer thought. I tried jumping in so many time and have fail just about each time. How stupid could I have been. I would always say, using that would be cheating or to easy. Now I rember the line "Make it work, make it faster". I had missed that all along! Becuase of the fact is I dont want to make games for money, only for enjoyment. For sometime I have been tring to make RPGs and yet I have never succeeded. So I took a step back and looked at my position, I am 16 years old, have no money and want to make a game, what should I do. My answer was use whats avilable. The only two things I had learned programming wise (to the entent starting a game project was python and qbasic)QBasic is horrible and dead, Python well maybe. C++ was something I took a long time learning for nothing, its just to big for me. Now when being a lone developer its hard to make an entire project ( a big one) all on your own and a very little amount of time. This is where the qoute comes in. I am using python along with several libaries to make a game in a lot less development time. But now I am lost on my first project to create. I have learn that making a rpg (pretty much involve every aspect) is bad as a first project. So what is some thats good as a first project a beginner at programming? I have been reading the acricle on game design and so on. Good stuff to keep soneone strong on their own. I just have no ideas and haven''t had any for sometime... All mine are huge and based on no story what so ever.

Advertisement
Start out with space invaders, pong or pacman.. everyone does something like that at least once in their lifetime.

And if you are serious about being a game programmer then you´ll probably have to learn C/C++, there´s no way around it.

Well thats an easy one...

Made a 2D sidescroller, A Pong Clone, A Tetris Clone, Something simple like that. Then move onto FPS. Despite what most people think, designing an RPG is much tougher than designing an FPS, in many aspects.

If C++ was hard for you to grasp, making a game ike Tetris as your frist game is not going to be fun. Try Tic-Tac-Toe, and then Pong. And from there, take a look at some games in the GD Showcase and make a clone o one of them.

------------------------------
".. See to me you are the light:
For the lightbulb breaks sometimes,
and the tender warmth inside..
is realesed into my mind..." - Saves the Day

If gfx are too much trouble to start with and you still want to make an RPG go for a Text-RPG. They dont take as much coding as something with gfx.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!