• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimboC

Visual C++ 7 Distribution

This topic is 6015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I saw a post on one of Microsoft's forums from a member of the Visual C++ team saying that Visual C++ 7 Professional was only going to released as part of the Visual Studio package. Visual C++ 7 Standard was to be released stand alone. The post was from Dec 1 and he stated that this wasn't set in stone. Has anyone heard if this is still the plan? I'll be pretty upset if Microsoft expects me to pay $600 for the Visual Studio upgrade when all I'll be using is C++. I've been upset enough with Microsoft's price gouging lately that I would definitely find another compiler, port all my code to OpenGL and make distros for Linux and Macs. Don't want to turn this into an "I hate Microsoft" thread, and I also know Microsoft won't really care that I'm developing for Linux and Macs, since it's just a hobby for me. Sorry for the rant, just needed to say something. Pisses me off that Microsoft would even consider something like this. BTW, here's a link to the post: http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/previewFrame.asp?ICP=msdn&sLCID=us&sgroupURL=microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc&sMessageID=%253COCbjJQreBHA.2764@tkmsftngp07%253E Edited by - JimboC on December 29, 2001 10:33:32 AM

Advertisement
Why don''t you post on that newsgroup and ask there?

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

I don''t understand your complaint.

If you don''t want Visual Studio, why not just get the Standard Edition?

Or does it come with the non-optimizing compiler?

Arild Fines:
I did, but haven''t they haven''t answered.

DrPizza:
The Professional Ed comes with the optimizing compiler, install-shield and a number of other things I use, not all of which are related to gaming.

Not good... not good...

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

So what.

They''re most likely doing that for a reason (probably to save money on packaging and to profit from it, which is just good business if you ask me). They''re not forcing anything on you, and it''s not the end of the world. So shut up.

The compiler should be the same between the two versions.

I can see it being a problem if you already have the professional edition (v6) and you want to upgrade, but they wont let you upgrade from PRO v6 to STD v7 (not saying that''s the case, but it''s possible).

You never know.. for Office 2000 they had a lot of different SKUs, and in Office XP they consolidated them down to just a few. They may do the same for Visual Studio. Keep in mind that things like management and testing grow exponentially with each SKU that you add. Not everything Microsoft does is to "price gouge" as you call it. Sometimes it''s just good business to simplify things.

-Brannon

Actually, they''ve stated the compiler will be different in many ways, including being non-optimizing and not having a profiler. If you want these things, you must buy the complete Visual Studio.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!