New terrain engine

Started by
8 comments, last by Dr Pain 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m looking for a little feedback on my new terrain engine, things like frame-rate on different machines, any "jerkiness", and overall impressions. It''s 47.4 Meg (almost all heightfield!), and it can be found at: http://www.thoughtwaves.com:8000/PowerRender4/TerrainDemo.zip Be sure to read the Readme.txt file! Dave (P.S. unfortunately I am unable to release the source to this right now.)
Advertisement
Trying to download now... only getting about 8K/sec on my cable connection. Where is this thing hosted?
Hey,

I''m DLing it and i''m only getting 8-11 on my DSL as well.

/*
======================
Pop me an email
Here

"In Windows, the only thing opposing safe mode would be... Unsafe mode....??"
- Me

"hmm, I know the slogans "will work for food" and "will work for free", but "will pay for work I do" seems just a bit sick "
- MirekCz

"I want to do this huge ass multiplayer first person space sim rpg strategy game!!"
======================
*/

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

You''re lucky - I was getting 1.5kbs on DSL - 13 hours is too long!

-
"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit. Touch it and the bloom is gone."
Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde
System Specs:
800@840 Athlon
512MB PC133 RAM
GF3 Ti-200 @ 200/460
Windows XP Pro

FPS = 180-200

Some clipping problems when walking up walls, and could really use a skybox and/or some fog to cover up the far clipping plane.

Edited by - BenHanson on December 29, 2001 4:06:50 PM
"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." -Anon.
Yikes, it''s been downloaded 25 times already! It''s coming off my poor, sweating cable modem. Perhaps try again a little later when the rush dies down?

As for the fog and skybox, those things will be added to the full game. This is just a test of the terrain engine. I wanted to see the edges in all their uglyness.

The near-clip setting is something I''m going to have to address also.

Dave
So has anyone other than BenHanson actually tried it yet? It''s been downloaded 42 times, and only one comment.
I tried it, it was OK. The texture quality wasn''t very good and I had random slowdown. It would run ~100 fps for most of the time, but every once and a while it would slow down to 20-30 fps for a few seconds (like it is loading something) and then speed back up. It seemed to do this whenever I moved into a new area of the landscape.

P3 800mhz
512 mb Ram
Radeon 64 DDR
Win 2K
I downloaded it and then had to leave for a bit. Got back and discovered that I had a nasty virus on my cmputer that Norton didn''t pick up for some reason.

Had to reformat and lost the download, so haven''t had a chance to re-get it
Damn viruses! I know first hand the harddrive destroying capabilities of viruses. I''ve had to format in the past also because of them. I hope you get back to normal real soon!

-Rich

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement