.md2

Started by
3 comments, last by dta1 22 years, 3 months ago
Do a .md2 file have to have all the 198 frames that quake2 characters have? If you''ve just made an object (a chair) which does only need one frame (it''s supposed to just stand there) it would be very unnessecary to use all 198. Is there any other format thats better for static objects then .md2? Can you load TGA-skins instead of PCX-skins to a .md2 model?
Erase, rewind and improve
Advertisement
You don''t need to fill all the frames, it''s just what quake 2 used.

Why would you want to load TGAs? The format doesn''t serpot transparncy and there is no gain in quilty just a gain in size.

Ben Gosney.
Please excuse my grammer, I'm from zomerzet
Actually, TGA''s do have an alpha channel, so they can be blended. Kevin and Dave''s OpenGL book has some information on loading TGA files in chapter 7, I believe. You may wanna check that out. I think all the chapter examples are up for download at http://glbook.gamedev.net

Johnny Watson
Owner/Main Programmer Vigasotech, Inc.
TGA files supports 8, 24 and 32 bit images among others. In fact, the 8, 24 and 32 bit formats can use the RLE compression scheme wich is the same as the PCX. So by all means use TGA files. They are easy to read and they support everything you''ll need them for.

...to answer your question, you can use tga files instead of pcx files. I can''t remember if the md2 file stores the skin name, but if it does, just rename the pcx extension to tga and voila!...load in the image as a tga.

You don''t have to save all 198 frames for an object with one frame. As far as I know you only have to include all 198 frames if you''re doing a player model. I don''t know what the requirments are for a player weapon model.
Thnks for your answers.

Just wonder. What would be the gain to create players and weapons models if you aren''t going to use them in Q2 if you can use as meny frames as you like by not creating playermodels?
Erase, rewind and improve

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement