Memory Management

Started by
3 comments, last by DarkEmpire 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, Do you know where i can find tutorials, articles, Source-Code about Memory Management ? I would like to create a memory manager, but i would like to find knowledge about that topic. Thanks Esteban Edited by - darkempire on December 29, 2001 8:03:38 PM Edited by - darkempire on December 29, 2001 8:04:19 PM
Advertisement
The first question you need to ask, is why would you want to create a memory manager?

There are good reasons to do so.. but if you are familiar with those reasons, then you wouldn''t be asking this question =).

-Brannon
-Brannon
Sorry for my english, it is not good.

By "Knowledge", i wanted to explain that i want articles / tutorials to know the most efficient way (algorithm) to implement a memory manager.

Indeed, the memory manager must be efficient, and allocation / deallocation fast... I would like to redirect most common allocations away from malloc() and into preallocated blocks of memory. We must be careful about fragmentation, etc.

But what is the most efficient way to do it?

An idea is to keep non used object in a list instead of deleting them, but all object don''t have the same size (in bytes), so it is not the best idea (that is my opinion)

That is why i need articles / tutorial.

Thanks
I don''t know of any online tutorials, but there are some great articles in ''Game Programming Gems'' first edition.

My Homepage
How many Microsoft employees does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, they just declare drakness as a new standard.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Here is an article on memory management by Paul Nettle on Flipcode: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=22August2000-MemoryManagement&forum=askmid&id=-1

Here is a actualy memory manager written by Paul Nettle: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/msg.cgi?showThread=12September2000-PresentingAMemoryManager&forum=askmid&id=-1

- Houdini
- Houdini

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement