• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yanuart

How to make 3d world

This topic is 6016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can somebody give me a hint/info how a great game build/program their world ?? Esspecially like CounterStrike/Quake ?? I''ve tried to make my world using a 3D tools, load it and scale it, but the performance was toooooo sloowwww... Any info will do ..

Advertisement
Well, you could create your own editor, I'm not sure if it would be any faster though, it depends. Also, the world may not be loaded as one object. You may have a hallway, and a room and something else and then you would tell the code where to put the objects. Then in the game, you would do your own clipping based on what part of the world you are in, like maybe divide it into zones. Let's say you have a hallway, you would check if the user can see the hallway and draw it if it can. Direct3D will do the side clipping, unless you want to do it yourself. I'm not sure if it makes sence
[]||[]
__ __
[]||[]

lets say that was an intersection, you would need to draw all four hallways if you were in the center or check which direction they are facing and draw the needed hallways. No other part of the world if needed because the user won't see it.

Edit:the ascii art was screwed up

Edited by - kmsixpence on December 30, 2001 9:37:24 AM

Edited by - kmsixpence on December 30, 2001 9:38:30 AM

Ok, I got that idea !! it''s going to be like a tile based world then, right ???
What about the editor ?? Does anybody any good editor to make the world (not a landscape thingy but an more like a room or buildings)??

A tile based world would be the easiest to implement. I use gmax with milkshape to make them into xfiles. In my signature i have a link to my site. It has a tut on making good models in under 20$. very useful for making good stuff for practically free. Read through it if you get a chance.

The world doesn't need to be tile based though, as long as it would have zones instead of one huge world. Have you ever played red faction or half-life(i believe)? i occasionally loads the new section. This is what I mean. you may have one heck of a huge world but the user will never see it all at once so why would you want to create the map as one big file. I'm confusing myself.

Let's say you have two hallways. Check out the art below. Ignore the commas

-------------|
-----------,,,|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|,,,|
-----------,,,|
-------------|

You can have two zones. One would be the top hallway and the middle section. The next zone would be the bottom hallway and the middle section. What the user is in the middle section, both hallways would be drawn because the user might be looking at both at the same time. However, when the user is in the top hallway, he cannot see the bottom so you don't need to draw it. All you draw it the zones that the user is in.

Edit:ascii art was screwed, ignore the commas

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 6:25:52 PM]

yanuart:
Since Id released the code for Quake 2, why not just use that engine and the tools that are available all over the net? You have everything there to make a full game and the source code is yours to modify as you'd like.

Edited by - JimboC on December 30, 2001 4:18:18 PM

There is some technique called BSP trees which is used for such things. It''s not simple to describe here in the forum, you have to find some articles about it. However, I''m not sure whether there is some ready made tools for constructing BSP trees out of your world''s mesh.

Well, I was hoping that someone could give me ideas n some theory to work with..
JimboC : sometimes using other people engines is as hard as trying to build one for ur own kinda game..
so all i need is just .. hmm.. i thinks some ideas and what to start will be great.. if it''s not too much to ask

Truespace is an excellent 3d modeller as well. I recently picked Truspace 4 up for $99 for christmas and it has turned out to be invaluable. You can download a demo at www.caligari.com. I believe the special is now over however, and 4 is back up to $199. I have found it to be nearly as good as 3d Studio Max for game programming purposes, at a fraction of the cost. Compare $3000 to $200, and though you lose a small portion of functuality, Truspace really is great.

What do u mean with using gmax n milkshape..
I used milkshape for my character modelling and exporting to X File, but I don''t think that milkshape can do great in world modelling..
btw, I''m looking on how u make ur world in real time animation in your 3d game such as Metal Gear Solid (MGS Rocks !!!). I''ve tried making the whole world in one mesh and then just move my camera around, but the performance is to slowww

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!