• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falsk

architectures in windows

This topic is 6016 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what I need to know is, what processors are used by windows? I know x86 and Athlon, but are there any others? Just want to know so I can make some processor-specific optimizations for game engine Edited by - falsk on December 30, 2001 4:54:59 AM

Advertisement
Depends on the version and model.

NT 3/4 runs on 8080386+, MIPS, Alphas, and PPCs, IIRC.
9x runs on 486+
2k runs on 586+ & MIPS (i'm guessing, I forget which ones exactly)
XP 786+, IA64, some others...

An Athlon IS an x86 chip.

586+ Chips:

Intel:
Pentium
Pentium Pro
Pentium II
Celeron
Pentium III
Celeron (II? III?)
Pentium 4

AMD:
K6
K6-2
K6-3
Athlon - Thunderbird
Athlon - Duron
Athlon XP

Kingston:
Various 486/Pentium overdrive chips

Cyrix:
I think these have all been destroyed (one can hope)

Others?

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on December 30, 2001 5:12:57 AM

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor

2k runs on 586+ & MIPS (i''m guessing, I forget which ones exactly)

Win2K only runs on x86 - Compaq was working on a port to Alpha, but MS pulled the plug on that project.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Win2K only runs on x86 - Compaq was working on a port to Alpha, but MS pulled the plug on that project.

It was Compaq that pulled the plug, actually, and MS who did the porting; MS had effectively finished Win2K for Alpha (and very nice it was too, with kernel-integrated FX!32 and stuff), but Compaq decided it wasn''t worth their while to support. This is all part of Compaq''s apparent desire to kill Alpha.

quote:
Original post by DrPizza
This is all part of Compaq''s apparent desire to kill Alpha.

Correction: desire to kill all things DEC (of which Alpha was merely one facet). I know of no other company so adept at taking good people and technology and running it straight into the crapper.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!