• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robertb

rendering in arbitrary memory

This topic is 6193 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, does anyone have some sample code or pointers on how to render with opengl into an arbitrary piece of memory. I would like to render completely without the window, is this possible?

Advertisement
I''m sure most of the software-only OpenGL dists will do it. I know the MS OpenGL generic mode can render to a bitmap in memory, but of course you wont get hardware acceleration. Mesa3d can probably do it too. The SGI OpenGL might too.

-Brannon

Thanks Brannon,

I have tried some code that simply gets a pixmap and does a glXCreateGLPixmap. Problem is that here also a window context is nescasary, screwing up my other glwindow. (threads and more then one opengl context/window) Furthermore with the window it is slower due to monitor sync, drawing etc. And when I open the GLpixmap, I usually get an error. Something about bad drawable, but I''m pretty sure the pixmap I created is a good one, and if I create the window for real everything seems to function fine.
Any pointers to some good code?

Hmm, I haven''t done anything with GL on X. I was mostly talking about GL on Win32.

Anyone else have experience with this under X?

-Brannon

quote:
Original post by robertb
PS also, I can''t seem to find any pbuffer code.......

Try this, a nice C++ pixel buffer class:
http://www.cfxweb.net/~delphigl/files/PixelBufferC.zip

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!