• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LessThanJoe

Graphics engine(s)

This topic is 6192 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m sure this question is asked by everyone and their mother, but...Can someone please tell me of a website that has lots of current (ie: looking better then doom) (free) graphics engines. I know short of nothing about them, but if this matters, maybe some 3d engines that would make either an RPG, a RTS (warcraft style, cept more 3d looking), or if my ''group'' decides to get a little riskey, a FPS. Also, which of these three game types would be easiest for an intermediate (sp?) c++ programmer. (I know/understand a lot, but I just don''t know as many of the header files that I should) Thanks ps. I''ve seen http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~ki/engines.html

Advertisement
Well, there''s this one .. I can''t remember it''s name, must not have come from a very memorable game, but I know it''s free, and comes from some game or another which was the second in it series ... should be over on ftp.idgames.com somewhere. In fact, it''s an entire game, and so you can rip out the engine, and have some example as to how to use it

Also, you could check out crystal space - I think that crystal.sf.net should get you there ...

Happy hunting!

quote:
Original post by LessThanJoe
I''m sure this question is asked by everyone and their mother, but...Can someone please tell me of a website that has lots of current (ie: looking better then doom) (free) graphics engines.

Well, I'm learning graphics right now (actually I'm learning the math that is used in graphics) and I once thought the same way you did. I came here a while back and asked for suggestions on a free engine, and someone suggested Crystal Space. I looked quickly at the Crystal Space screenshots and thought, "Bah! This is an insult! I would much rather use Jet3d! Bah!" Now, time has passed and I know a _whole_ lot more than I once did.

You see, when you're learning how to drive, do you learn by driving a Corvette Stingray at the Indy 500 track, or a Honda Civic in an empty parking lot? When you're learning math in kindergarten, do you learn by using calculus or addition. Do you get my point?

If you want 3d, go look into the articles on it right here on GDNET, or on any other website. See the vector math and a bunch of talk on matrices, and everything like that you don't understand. After your head explodes, you'll see why 2d is a much easier starting point than 3d. Remember, in 3d you can have all the power in the world, but you have to fill it with all the artwork in the world. If you don't have time for the artwork, don't bother making it 3d!

I hope I'm not discouraging you, because this stuff is really fun, and for all I know, I know just as much as you. Look into the articles section here on GDNET. They have an article series called "Intro to 3d Graphics Programming." Read that. You probably won't regret it. Flipcode has excellent tutorials as well, but if you don't know the math, they probably won't help you very much (not saying all gfx tuts involve math, but most do).

Also, try learning a little OpenGL when you have the time. When I get lost reading the articles, I often remember something from OpenGL, and then I know what they're talking about. Allegro is good too. I haven't found a use for Directx, but then again I haven't looked into it very much.

I'm not an expert at this at all, but coming from someone who is teaching himself every bit of this stuff from various resources, you can bet that I know a thing or two. Take things one step at a time, and be diligent. Also, be disciplined . That's what's helping me.

Now, after all that, if you want an engine, don't be so turned off by the screenshots.

By the way, Trig is fun. Just letting you know before you ask about math.

Edited by - Some Guy on January 1, 2002 6:07:45 PM

Actully, I thought those screenshots were really good. I''m not trying to make some big commercial product, I just want to find something my club can use to make a decent game. I would learn (and plan to...if I ever get time) how to write my own graphics engine (I''m good at (pre)calculus...REAL good), but I STRONGLY dought anyone else in the club would want to learn these things too.

Thanks for the advice though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!