• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason2Jason

Open GL or Direct X?

This topic is 6113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I just want to know what you people perfer.. Which do you think is better, OGL/DX, and which is eaiser to implement? And if there are, are there any other graphics api''s that i''ve never heard of?!? Just wanted to know what you think, Thanks, J

Advertisement
Let the religious arguments begin!!

Personally, I like both OpenGL and DX8 (emphasis on "8"). I think that OpenGL may be a little easier for beginners and DX8 may be a little bit better as you become more advanced.

The best idea - take a look at both and pick the one that feels best to you. If you decide later on that you want to do something else, it''s very easy to move back and forth between them.

In either case, I recommend picking up the OpenGL "red book". Even if you''re doing DX, the red book is very good for 3D concepts.

quote:
Original post by CrazedGenius
Let the religious arguments begin!!

lol

So far i've been doing Open gl and it seem sortof easy enough, but the red book makes me shiver!! I've looked at and decided to get another book!!

Edited by - jason2jason on December 30, 2001 4:40:05 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!