• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drdarkon

2D Engine/Wrapper creation

This topic is 6043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, Okay, so I have gotten my books on DirectDraw, read through Gaming Gurus DirectX sections and all that. Now I''m at the point where I am going to create a little wrapper sorta thing for all the stuff I need to do in a game I will make. I''m gonna make my wrapper similar to LaMothe''s. I''m not making my game off of his though because I think it would be a great learning experience to go through and create my own. I have already learned a whole bunch in the last 2 hours I have been working on it. Alrighty, now for my questions, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for creating a wrapper. You guys are all very experience so I was just checking to see if you have any pointers for me to follow. So far this is what I''m doing. I have a struct that is going to hold all the information for my sprites. The struct is Sprite and contains a RECT for its location, the surface it is on, its # of frames, speed the animations play, a BOOL that tests whether it is to be drawn... and more as I come up with more. I will be using 1 function to create each Sprite that gives it a surface and loads in the BMP to it. Blts it on the offscreen surface. I will have 1 function to initialize it and give it the coords it starts at. I will have 1 function that blts the Sprites current frame onto the destination surface at it''s location. Okay do you guys (or gals) have any suggestions that I could use? I could really use anything you have and it would be much appreciated. If you think an idea of mine is stupid or have a better way for me to do it let me know. Or, if you have just general guidelines I could follow, please, let me know Thankyou very much for your time - Jesse

Advertisement
Also, any suggestions for doing animations? How do you think I should have that set up? Any tips would be appreciated.

- Jesse

One mistake I made when doing my wrapper - I put the current frame number in the animation class! (So when I drew lots of explosions on the screen, they all went at exactly the same speed and same frame!) I suggest having something like an AnimationHost class that contains the current frame of an animation as well as a pointer to the animation itself. Just a thought...

EDIT - WOW! A typo! By ME! Unthinkable...

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.

Edited by - AdmiralBinary on December 30, 2001 10:26:18 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!