Java or C++?

Started by
8 comments, last by Punx 22 years, 3 months ago
Out of these two which do you think would be the best language to start of with game programming? Sorry if this has already been posted. If it has could someone please direct me to it. Thanks.
~punx
Advertisement
Here are 5 pages of happiness for you. Threads like this always insite rampant flaming...

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Java is really getting much faster, and with 1.4beta its now got some cool graphic stuff.
I love java really, but for serious 3d games sick to c++.
Java is better suited to enterprise network stuff, and client apps than c++, but its better at games were speed is crucial.
quote:Original post by Punx
Out of these two which do you think would be the best language to start of with game programming?

Sorry if this has already been posted. If it has could someone please direct me to it.

Thanks.

neither... learn c#
Java is a nice high-level language. It is very usefull as well for net applications, and its almost perfect cross-platform use.

Honestly though you can not compair Java and C++, both of them have their uses, and both of them have their cons.

If you are really looking into net applications and cross-platform applications I would recommend Java personally, however if you are looking for high speed gaming, or platform specific (and when I say platform specific I mean that it requires a substantial amount of additional work to port over than Java) applications I would recommend C++.

They are both, in my opinion, just as difficult to learn, and are very similar in syntax, and some commands.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
If you''re making complex games (3D or 2D) it has to be C++.

Not only is C++ faster and have more features. It also has more libaries available if you cant be bothered to do something yourself and if you have any problems there are alot more people that can help you. Especially around these forums.

Just My Two Cents,
Crash,

"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000

"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
C++

-MC1911
-MC1911
I agree with everyone. You will probably want to learn C++ for games, as performance is usually an issue. On the plus side, you can learn one first and this should help you learn the other later on if you choose to, as there are more similarities than differences.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
It really makes me laugh when I see people in these forums quote performance as a reason for using C++ to start learning games programming.

He wants to start learning to program games so performance isn''t going to be an issue when he''s only going to be writing simple 2D games to start off with. It''ll be a while before the performance of the language he is using actually makes a signicant difference.

And as for the arguement that you are going to end up learning C++ so you should start with it. I have to dsagree as if you can''t even make the switch between too very similar porgramming languages then you''re going to have a hard time writing a cutting edge 3D engine

What''s more import is that you learn to program and learn to program well! And either of those languages will serve you very well for that purpose.

I have to agree though that C++ has the benifit of having a lot more support when it comes to to games programming.

Crash:

"Not only is C++ faster and have more features"

That''s not stricly true and more isn''t always better (it''s what you do with it that counts ), but I''m not going to going into the C++ vs Java debate as it has been done to death and is very boring.

- Kaijin
Do it in Java.

If you are learning game programming, design, things of that nature, the structure of a java program can help you immediately see what''s going on. It will let you look at the system as a whole the entire time you program. I''m sure it''s possible in c++, in fact i''m positive it is, it''s just somehow easier in java. Hard to explain, but i recommend java to people who are experimenting/learning. Not cuz it''s less of a language, because it''s more of a language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement