Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

map editor: simple vsd or draw all ?

This topic is 5828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! I used to create some test maps for my 3D graphics engine with 3rd party software, but it''s time to have my own editor now. I wonder if I should just draw every of the polygons of a map while editing it, with z-buffer. (in the 3D-view) But this may be too slow as the map gets bigger. So what kind of ordinary VSD could I use, for not having to draw the entire map? I suppose simple depht-sorting every frame is too slow... But it must be in real time, of course, hey, it''s an editor, where the map is changing. After finishing the map, I send it to my bsp tree compiler, but I''m almost sure that the bsp approach is not very feasible for the editor ;-) Thanks in advance! the unshaven bastard

Q3Radiant, the editor used for Quake III, performs backface and frustrum culling, but that''s it (unless you specify the rarely-used distance culling option). Everything that isn''t culled by those two (or three) simple tests is thrown to the graphics card and drawn using the z-buffer. It does get rather slow as the map gets bigger. But since (I assume) the renderer is in a seperate thread, it doesn''t affect the speed at which you manipulate objects in the 2d views; all that happens is the FPS dropw. While editing the map, 5 FPS is really all you need!