• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McMcDonald

Strange problem - under WIN98 only debug version runs

This topic is 6047 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I have a strange problem: I am using Visual C++ 6.0 and DirectX 7.0 and NViewLib.dll for loading my bitmaps. I am developing using Win2K, and there is no problem running the program using the release version. But if i want to run the release version under Win98 there is some problem, the program stops. Using the debug version the program runs without any problems. Now i have problems to determine the position where the program crashes because using the debugger there is no problem to detect. Are there any ideas ? Thanx McMc

Advertisement
Which version of 98 are you running?? I used to have nothing but
strangeness happening with win98 SE....the regular WIN98 worked fine but the SE version just froze on my code constantly...(for no reason I can still find)..

"Hey dude, that nurse has no arms!"

"We''re an equal opportunity employer here son."

I had a freezeup in debug mode becuz I wasnt setting a variable before using it. In debug mode as far as I know all ints and floats are init to soem value on creation. But in retail this isnt the case, I was getting some infinite float error. Double check and make sure you are initing all vars to at least 0 before using em.

Hi Golden_Phoenix!

You are right !

I had problems reading over the end of a string checking for 0-character in a loop like

do {

} while (c!=0)

In all configurations the byte behind the 0-terminating byte of the string was 0, but it seems in win98 release mode there was another value!

Thanxs for your tip!

And thanxs to wazoo69 for reply!

Now i must watch the silvester rockets.

Bye and have a happy new year!

McMc

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!