Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange problem - under WIN98 only debug version runs

This topic is 5829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I have a strange problem: I am using Visual C++ 6.0 and DirectX 7.0 and NViewLib.dll for loading my bitmaps. I am developing using Win2K, and there is no problem running the program using the release version. But if i want to run the release version under Win98 there is some problem, the program stops. Using the debug version the program runs without any problems. Now i have problems to determine the position where the program crashes because using the debugger there is no problem to detect. Are there any ideas ? Thanx McMc

Which version of 98 are you running?? I used to have nothing but
strangeness happening with win98 SE....the regular WIN98 worked fine but the SE version just froze on my code constantly...(for no reason I can still find)..

"Hey dude, that nurse has no arms!"

"We''re an equal opportunity employer here son."

I had a freezeup in debug mode becuz I wasnt setting a variable before using it. In debug mode as far as I know all ints and floats are init to soem value on creation. But in retail this isnt the case, I was getting some infinite float error. Double check and make sure you are initing all vars to at least 0 before using em.

Hi Golden_Phoenix!

You are right !

I had problems reading over the end of a string checking for 0-character in a loop like

do {

} while (c!=0)

In all configurations the byte behind the 0-terminating byte of the string was 0, but it seems in win98 release mode there was another value!

Thanxs for your tip!

And thanxs to wazoo69 for reply!

Now i must watch the silvester rockets.

Bye and have a happy new year!

McMc