ps2 emulators

Started by
26 comments, last by gomola 22 years, 3 months ago
don''t you think ps2 emulators would work in sony''s favour, if they are going online gaming, then pc owners could buy ps2 sofware to play online.its all very well saying dreamcast, x-box etc. have online capabilities but people who have online capabilities in there home, have it on there PC not there TV (especially broadband). i think Sony would benefit if they released an official PS2 emulator for PC''s, thus taking would be X-Box customers. People who own PC''s have no need for the X-Box.
Advertisement
seeing as how sony all but shut down Bleem i think a ps2 emulator will be unlikely.

cyn
See things this way...

Sony makes a PS2 for $500 (just a guess, I may be wrong, but I do know that they loose money from each system sold). They sell the system for $300 resulting in a loss of $200. If they dont sell that system, though, its a loss of $500. If they did make an emulator, they''d probably have to stop selling systems because no one would be buying them and they''d keep loosing hundreds of dollars for each emulator they sell. Now you see why companies don''t favor emulators? On its highest level, one would think by making an emulator, you''re saving Sony the $200 it looses on a system, but in reality, all you''d be doing is depriving Sony of $500. Geddit now?

Johnny Watson
Owner/Main Programmer Vigasotech, Inc.
They lose money!! :p , so they rely on people buying games and accesories to make money, right?

MSN messenger:garcon_bifteck@hotmail.com

Email:garconbifteck@pc-gaming.com
Supposedly sony doesnt loose money on ps2s. your thinking of the xbox and i heard that sega used to loose money for each console they sold. i keep hearing this and seeing it debunked as a rumor. my guess is that because it was so publicised that ms looses money on the xboxes they sell its assumed that money is lost on all consoles. dont flame me if im wrong, but please show me some proof.
Actually most consoles do loose money for the first couple years. During this time they rely on software royalties(they get like 10 bucks for every game sold) and hardware royalties(no idea how much.) Yes the Xbox is loosing somewhere between 100-200 bucks per console. MS is doing this to ensure a future in the console market, they don''t even plan to turn a profit until Xbox 2 from what I''ve heard. Sony and nintendo are both loosing money on their new consoles as well but probably not quite as much as Xbox. Then again MS can afford it.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

quote:Original post by Ravyne
Actually most consoles do loose money for the first couple years. During this time they rely on software royalties(they get like 10 bucks for every game sold) and hardware royalties(no idea how much.) Yes the Xbox is loosing somewhere between 100-200 bucks per console. MS is doing this to ensure a future in the console market, they don''t even plan to turn a profit until Xbox 2 from what I''ve heard. Sony and nintendo are both loosing money on their new consoles as well but probably not quite as much as Xbox. Then again MS can afford it.

Where did you get this information, though? I''ve read multiple articles that say that sony has never lost money per unit on a console, and neither has nintendo. That''s something that sega did on the saturn and the dreamcast to try to compete with the playstation, and now microsoft is doing to compete with the more established and efficient console manufacutrers.

Check out Edge (UK) #104 p. 21:

quote:

Expected loss made by MS for each Xbox sold:
USD 100 - USD 150 (GBP 68 - GBP 102)

Expected loss made by Sony for each PS2 sold:
JPY 10,000 (GBP 57)

Expected loss made by Nintendo for each GameCube sold:
JPY 3,000 - JPY 3,500 (GBP 17 - GBP 20)

I assume part of the loss comes from other factors than production like development and marketing. With marketing maybe even more than production and development but together considering the enormous adventising campaigns.

Jasper
I would think Sony does _not_ actually lose money on console hardware. I don''t know for sure, of course, but seeing as how Sony is a huge player in the consumer electronics business, it seems reasonable to assume they have the expertise to manufacture PS2s and still make some profit. After all, they make profit on their other hardware (TVs, CD players, etc.)

As for why they would not like a PS2 emulator, the answer is probably "control", if not a loss of revenue. Sony wants to control who''s playing games on their system, and wants to make sure it has control over its brand name. They don''t want you playing PS2 games on a PS2 emulator because that emulator isn''t made by Sony, and they won''t make a PS2 emulator because they want you to buy a PS2 and the "console experience" that comes with that. Otherwise, you''d just be playing games in a buggy and slow (modern PCs could not emulate a PS2 at a playable speed) PC program.

We won''t be seeing PS2 emulation any time soon, if ever, anyway...

---
Bart
----Bart
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Where did you get this information, though? I''ve read multiple articles that say that sony has never lost money per unit on a console, and neither has nintendo.

What?

Do you really think something like the PS2 or GameCube costs LESS than $300 or, for crying out loud, $200 to make? Honestly.

GameCube loses a lot of money off its system, but breaks even for the most part because everything about it is very small in proportion. That is, only if the games sell well enough. I haven''t seen too much of it to tell. PS2 has lost money as well-- a bad launch, an expensive system, few games, complaining developers, systems being smuggled into Iraq, a slumping economy in the States, September 11... Tell me they''ve had it easy.

And either way-- back to the issue of a PS2 emulator. With the technology of the PS2 (IT''S 128-BIT!), and the difficulty to program it, I think an emulator couldn''t even make it off the design floor. And let''s not forget-- Bleem sucked. Why should I trust another Bleem, an ugly, illegal deal that makes my games look all screwy and confusing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement