Direct3D linking error

Started by
1 comment, last by wcmike 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I have just started to work with DirectX 7 Direct3D. I have worked with DirectDraw before, so I am familiar with linking. I created my first 3D example by using a book as a guide. There are no compile errors, but when I try to link, there are some errors. I am using "d3dutil.h" to help with my projection and view matrices. I have linked to d3dim.lib so that is not my problem. Here is what the link errors say: 3d_start.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl D3DUtil_SetProjectionMatrix(struct _D3DMATRIX &,float,float,float,float)" (?D3DUtil_SetProjectionMatrix@@YAJAAU_D3DMATRIX@@MMMM@Z) 3d_start.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl D3DUtil_SetViewMatrix(struct _D3DMATRIX &,struct _D3DVECTOR &,struct _D3DVECTOR &,struct _D3DVECTOR &)" (?D3DUtil_SetViewMatrix@@YAJAAU_D3DMATRIX@@AAU_D3DVECTOR@@11@Z) Debug/3d_start.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. 3d_start.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s) Any help would be appreciated. I am using Visual C++ 6.0, DirectX 7.0, and I have Windows XP. If you need any more information, let me know. Thank you for your time.
Advertisement
I don''t think the util file is pre-compiled. You have to include D3DUtil.cpp into you rproject files.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
My suggestion to you is to move to DirectX 8. If you were using DirectDraw, then there would be no problem, but now since you are in 3D you should use the latest there is to offer. I think there is a considerable difference.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement