Pointer are unnifficient

Started by
29 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 3 months ago
All BCPL/ALGOL are great. But, their is a problem with them. Pointers. They suck, are unneeded, but... the creators did not use string heavy machines, so did not find a reason to rid of pointers. Heck, in other languages, I can do what a pointer does in less code! yes, I am saying that pointers are stupid. Most of you will say that pointers are useful, but, in my opinion, they are useful because they are used to go AROUND BCPL/ALGOL based language''s limitations. In plenty of languages, I have rarely seen pointers used. But, I will say that pointers also confuse new users. They confuse and too omplicated. Now, then, my grammar may be bad, but I can still catch rebuttals. One is that ''Well, why don''t you change it yourself?'' well, I''m just stating an idea. I don''t have to do so. And for you idiots who would make fun without a good reason, please, save your crap for another topic. Now then, how do redo pointers? Rid of them.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
what''s the point?, and what is BCPL/ALGOL?
Are you angry because you''re ignorant, or ignorant due to
your anger?
Do you realize that you are being very ignorant yourself.
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Yep pointers are a bit confusing for new users. I personally like them, not because they are better or worse, just the way I code. So if you dont like them, dont use them, there are alternatives to using them. Happy New Year!

Grellin - CGP
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
hmmm.
i dont know what to say -mainly because im not sure what BCPL/ALGOL is.
i havent been able to make much since of your first paragraph.

yes, your enlish grammer and spelling are bad (look up: their, there, they''re).

Pointers only confuse learners if they are really new to programming.

Unless the language heavily wraps pointer stuff, there are simply too many things that cant be done (easily) without them.
Asm uses them like mad.
if a language supports pointers, then its probably intended to be an interface to low level stuff, like addresses.
I can understand pointer to direct numbers, or characters, and if they are in a CHAR mode, BUT when you have a pointer for a pointer, that's when I get annoyed. Just put a name to a memory address and there, no other pointers needed! I find it annoying when readin code when people point to points to points! It's stupid and dumb, but I see it all the time.
EDIT:
Also, BCPL is the predesccor(sp) to B, C, C++,C*,C# an so on.
ALGOL heavilly influenced BCPL.

Edited by - Andrew Nguyen on December 31, 2001 10:15:21 PM
You can''t have a systems programming language without some form of memory address variable. In assembly all your data is in registers, which are memory addresses but are usually dereferenced to access the contents at those addresses. You can''t have dynamic memory allocation without pointers at the base level either.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
So, Andrew, does this make you happier?
  size_t Fish;size_t Pointer = (size_t) &Fishsize_t PointerPointer = (size_t) &Pointer  

That code should just about always work, but I''d much prefer to use pointers if I have to .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I''ve always found that pointers often help me to organize my code, especially when using OOP.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement