multiplayer FPS/RTS mix...

Started by
18 comments, last by MSW 22 years, 3 months ago
I like that idea. It sounds like Tribes taken to a whole new level. The creators of Tribes tried to make team play crucial to winning, and in part, it is. But, on public servers, the commander who yells out orders and watches the playing field just isn't efficient because A) no one listens to him, and B) even when everyone listens to him, the effectiveness of the team working together isn't that much better than the commander picking up a gun and joinin the fray. So, the issue of getting the players to listen to the "brain" is gonna be important in this design. Also, getting the team to coordinate well and form a well-disciplined army must yield great results.

I have a question, and you might have answered this already. How much will skill as a soldier affect the results of the battle? As in, in a fight of Team Super-Smart-Ender's-Game-esque-Commander vs. Team Tribes-Elitists-That-Can-Hit-A-Squirrel-From-A-Mile-Off, who would win? I'd think you'd want the team with the better commander to win, but then if you did that, why would anyone ever wanna be a soldier when they're just taking orders? So, then you'd change your mind and say the team with the highly skilled soldiers should always win, but then the effectiveness of the "brain" drops again and you've descended back to Tribes-like warfare.

I love the idea and look forward to seeing its product.
Omega

Edited by - THE Omega on January 1, 2002 5:25:01 PM
Advertisement
quote:Original post by MSW
Um...Chess is a great stratigy game basied off of some very simple rules...and as simple as it is...the ''rock, paper, and sisccors'' approch would work very well, I think....no matter how complex such systems can be made, they can all be abstracted to a base level of understanding that the player needs to interpret as "I''m ahead!","I''m breaking even", and "I''m behind".

I conceed that if the result you seek is to build the kind of design that players can abstract without too much trouble then you are on the right track. However, the beauty of games such as Chess, Go, and even Starcraft is that it is very hard to see all of the abstract at a glance. For that reason, I suggest a more complex design, firstly so that a Combatant really can''t see everything that his/her Brain can see, so that they might be more ready to follow orders. Secondly so that sneaky moves are possible. If both brains can see all of the field all the time, and they can see, with a general gist what tech the other team is using, I might see it as easy to get into a dead heat, neither one could really make a surprise attack.

quote:I guess the RTS aspect I''m trying to implament is basied more around the tactical squad command of units rather then the resorce management systems used by the majority of RTS games...buildings are out...as well as anything that relates directly to real world military hardware..that game theme has been done to death, IMHO (along with D&D type fantasy settings)...so weapons and such in this game will be a bit fantastical in design and function.

Of course, I do not mean to impinge on your tastes, I understand your postition, but I am not personally convinced that those genres are ''dead'' in any way, however that is not relevant to this discussion.

Sure you want to loose buildings? they add heavily to the strategic element of "What do I destroy first to give myself a percieved advantage" A good reason to go with military hardware is that it gives something for players to identify with instantly. But that''s all in the packaging I guess, that''s unrelated to actual mechanics and balance.

I was thinking, that you should have a round mechanism like that in counterstrike. If a brain dies, then a new round starts and the brain on that team is cycled (Winning brain stays on top of his/her team).

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Symphonic - sorry if I seemed a bit ''testy''...New Years day hang-over had something to do with that

The "unit" players see a typical FPS view of the game world...while the "brain" player sees a birds-eye view...

"Units" only have one weapon...and can only upgrade it through ''power-ups'' supplied by the "brain" as they spawn in that particular "units" waypoint area...or when the "unit" dies and is respawned, he/she can then chose what weapon they will use among those available through the ''tech'' tree thingy....players who won''t at least make some atempt to follow orders won''t last long...and "brains" who ruthlessly order "units" to thier death won''t either...and anytime sombody dies the other side gets points to use for upgrades, etc...so a stong element of trust will need to be fostered between players.

Adding buildings and other structures would add to the fun the "units" could have...but it could become a headache for the "brains" to keep tabs on things. the game needs to have both FPS and RTS elements tightly intertwined to the point where the removal of one side basicly breaks the game...makes it unplayable...When/If this game gets made, I would rather hear comments from fans saying something like "the game would be better if there were buildings in it"...then hear comments like "whats wrong with the freaking camera?"

The problem I have with military themed games (and D&D style ones too) is two fold:
1) there are a lot of them out right now, and even more on the way...it would be very difficult to stand out among such a competitive field of games...
2) with such games there is a high level of player expectations...players would expect a military themed game such as this to have a hierchy of command...they would expect certain weapons...the use of specific tactics and situations

I want to ''clean the slate''...start freash...it''s bad enough that this game would use the FPS and RTS game genres as a crutch...I don''t want it to also depend on the currently common genre themes and styles as well...

Anyway...I''m stuck for a title...what should I call it?
I like the idea...

one addition I thought of would be, every time a unit kills another teams unit the team gets a point. The brain can control use of these points for upgrades OR to bring a unit back to life. This way the brain can get some measure of control over the units.

I do not think you will have a problem with people wanting to be a brain. FPS fans to RTS fans has to be at LEAST 16:1.

Lastly, a good way to appease the FPSers would be the brain can reward indivudual players with upgrades (via points). And of corse it would be possible to kill your own brain if he decides to pump all the points into one unit. (maybe when a brain is killed he is limited to the FPS side of the server until he gets X ammount of kills to prevent bad brains from spending too much time as a brain.)

(btw...I'm not the greatest programmer but I am a fast learner and would gladly quit my programming club (no one does what they are supposed to do anyway...we'll never get anything done) if it ment being able to work on such a good project)

Edited by - lessthanjoe on January 1, 2002 9:32:02 PM
Actually it is my sig, but I might change it.

The original was
"Create."
But I really like the
"Liv Tyler makes a really great elf."

The two large paragraphs are lines copied from a reply I
made on a post about a new language.
The first paragraph is supposed to be an inspirational
passage for the guy who wants a new language. It was
supposed to inspire the writing of said new language.
The second paragraph is a reply to someone else''s reply
about C/C++ syntax made during the new language thread.
I forgot backslashes.
liv tyler is hot, but that doesn''t necessarily make her a great elf!

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
krez, are you kidding?!

Haven''t you seen Lord of the Rings yet?
yah i saw it!
she was hot for the three minutes she was in the movie, but other than having the name "arwen" she wasn't especially elf-like. it was more like one of those "let's put some hot chick in this movie for a few minutes so we can put her on the posters and burger-king mugs, and say there is a hot chick in the movie" situations.
it has been a good year or so since i read LoTR, but i could have sworn that frodo was rushed to rivendell by a male elven dude and not aragorn's fiance (i forget his name though). i'll have to go check now...
EDIT: the elven dude is named glorfindel. arwen doesn't even show up in the book (except for being mentioned in conversation) until the third volume. considering how hollywood bastardizes good books every day, though, i still think this movie was pretty sweet.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Edited by - krez on January 1, 2002 12:01:31 AM
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
well if you're gonna include those two paragraphs into your sig definetly make use of the "font" tag like I did to make the text smaller. Also stretch them out so they take up less room. Also add a demarkation line via the "hl" tag or a series of underscores. But that's enough about sigs on this thread...

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

To get back on topic:

I conceed your points MSW, at this point I''m convinced that you have a solid design in your head, if not in this thread.

I still think you should go with something less pedantic than RGB for the tech types. Perhaps you might treat this as a battle between creatures of an alien race, I see no reason why you might be restricted in your technological vision then.

quote:Original post by MSW
players would expect a military themed game such as this to have a hierchy of command

I''m not convinced of this particular statement. I don''t see why anyone could mistakenly see the presence of a heirarchy in a game such as yours, quite simply, the player who is the brain is in charge, and the units can only communicate with the brain, so that settles it.

Good from the get-go

quote:Anyway...I''m stuck for a title...what should I call it?

Wait until later to get a title, for now you need a development team. If you''re really itching for a title, I think the name "Eye/Claw" is cool

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement