• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laydees and Geyntelmen....

This topic is 5984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I announce to you the opening of... Bugle4D The first publicly released 4D engine code for C++. Although this marvel is but newly formed and has yet but few objects, it shows gre-eat promise in the new year... Bugle4D- A New Dimension In Graphics ! Seriously speaking... It`s not fully done yet, but the core stuff is finished. The source for the finished classes is zipped and uploaded, please try it ! Working in 4D does not look normal 3D, so please don`t email me about wierd shapes. But if you find any actual coding bugs, let me know. I`ve got a kinda history of it so far on my page, which shows errors I`ve found as I`ve coded, I encourage you to read it. I`m going to try and keep the page updated as I go along, but I do hate writing html . Enjoy ! http://members.tripod.com/thefivelions/bugle4d/ ~V''lion

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Vlion
I announce to you the opening of...

Bugle4D

The first publicly released 4D engine code for C++.
Although this marvel is but newly formed and has yet but few objects, it shows gre-eat promise in the new year...

Bugle4D- A New Dimension In Graphics !

Seriously speaking...
It`s not fully done yet, but the core stuff is finished.
The source for the finished classes is zipped and uploaded, please try it ! Working in 4D does not look normal 3D, so please don`t email me about wierd shapes. But if you find any actual coding bugs, let me know. I`ve got a kinda history of it so far on my page, which shows errors I`ve found as I`ve coded, I encourage you to read it.

I`m going to try and keep the page updated as I go along, but I do hate writing html .

Enjoy !

http://members.tripod.com/thefivelions/bugle4d/

~V''lion

How in hell do you represent 4D on a 2D screen??? Kind of odd that some people think they actually know what 4D is when even the theory is devided into 2 clans, maybe more...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Mathematical 4D is easy. Just 4 depths. A 4d matrix is also easy. [x][y][z][w/t/?]. Displaying 4d... Well... You can do that any way you like. It''s just about displaying all the data. I t doesn''t matter if you use a timeline, or add an extra axis. Just think about it. You can display 3d on a 2d screen with a third axis. Or you can use time, gives a nice effect

-Maarten Leeuwrik
"Some people when faced with the end of a journey simply decide to begin anew I guess."

Of course, you should be able to visualize any number of spatial dimensions----when they are projected onto a 2D plane such as the computer screen.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

Transforming 4d->3d is just like 3d->2d...
See:

2d.x = 3d.x / 3d.z
2d.y = 3d.y / 3d.z

This is the generic formula...
So, 4d->3d:

3d.x = 4d.x / 4d.w
3d.y = 4d.y / 4d.w
3d.z = 4d.z / 4d.w

So, 4d->2d:

2d.x = 4d.x / (4d.z / 4d.w)
2d.x = 4d.x / (4d.z / 4d.w)

Actually, what I`m doing is the 4d-3d projection, then using OpenGL to do the 3d-2d projection. That way I can concentrate on the 4-dimensional aspects of the coding.
However that may be....
x/w has an asymptote that is 0.
I think the correct term is that f(x) = k/x has a limit of 0.
Anyway, what that tranlates out to is that you can`t have a w value of 0, which is clearly illogical.
Also, my logic is not as clear on this, but any value from 1 to limit->0 to -1, is really going to freak out my x,y,z values.
So I needed to find a way so that I could have values in the range [-1,1] without messing up my projection.

Remember the equations for 3d-2d perspective projection work on the basis of:
1)View frustrum with a FOV and a end.
2)Projecting to a finite plane.

The equation is, if I remember right...
x = fov*(x/y)+ x_width_of_plane_to_project_on;

What I am trying to accomplish is perspective projection with this basis:
Perspective projection from 4-space to 3-space.

Thats why I am using this offbeat equation I am.
It seems to work, so I use it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!