Programming the Windows Registry?

Started by
4 comments, last by En3my 22 years, 3 months ago
I''ve been searching the web and the Amazon website for knowledge and books about how to program the Windows Registry using the Win32 API, but I can''t find much on how to use the Registry from a programmer''s point of view. Most books I find only seem to present a list of Registry keys, "hacks" and their functions for system admins and the like. I would prefer something explaining both how keys work with Windows and applications as well as documenting the Registry API, as a complement to MSDN. The only book I''ve found so far that seem to fulfill my needs is "Inside the Windows 95 registry" (ISBN 1565921704), but it''s probably way dated by now. Anyone know of any recent books on how to program the Windows registry using C/C++? Thanks for your time and help!
Advertisement
Hello,

Wish I knew how to do that too. Anyway, that Win95 book should be OK, because I don''t think much has changed in the way of the windows API from 98 to 95, so I wouldn''t worry too much. Incidentally, I''d make sure that you know how to use the Win95 API (sorry if that''s patronising as you already know it) but it would prbably come under a section of that.

Wilben.
Did a quick search out of curiousity and the best (Non-Hacky) example i could find uses MFC though im sure you can edit it to your own preferences & just steal the functions

This one is on the MSDN so maybe you''ve seen it already but i think it looks pretty decent, it has a very brief overview of what the registry is & how it operates at the start, but another quick search revealed a webpage that has a near complete registry tutorial, its not programming oriented though, it just talks about the registry itself, anyway without further ado... the two links, hope they help.

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/technicalarticles/registry.asp

http://www.billssite.com/tu1420.001.html
****************************Yesterday we Obeyed kings & bent our necks before emperors,but today we kneel only to the truth.****************************
It''s a handful of APIs. Just read what the Platform SDK has to say about the matter and be done with it.

No need to buy a goddamn book just for this subject.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
Thanks for the links, I will take a look at right away! I found another one called "Managing Windows 2000 Registry" (ISBN 1565929438), that seems to be something like an up-to-date version of the book I mentioned at first. Anyone read that one or know if it''s any good? I would like to use the Windows Registry to it''s full potential, thus I prefer both reading a truly good book on the subject, as well as studying the API. All guidance and recommendations are much appreciated!
Head over to www.codeproject.com for a good registry class. There are plenty of them around and it simplifies the task at hand...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement