Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switched to glortho, now textures are TINY!? Help!

This topic is 5829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I switch from perspective to ortho, since I am making 2d game. Problem, now all my textures are VERY small, and I can''t understand why. my setup code is: code: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- glViewport(0,0,width,height); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); glOrtho(0, width,height,0, -1, 1); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity(); glViewport(0,0,width,height); -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and my textures are size 128x64, and 32x64, and when display on screen now, they look like few pixels. I can do scale(50,50,50); then I see then again, but I do not understand why I need to do this? when I use perspective then the textures are correct! I am confused why I need to scale, or do glvertex2f(50.0,50.0) from glvertex2f(1.0,1.0)!! Oh yes, also I notice I do glscale(-50,50,50) since now textures are flipped? I look at many books, and they no say why! Help! Many thanks friends! --Clancy

glViewport(0,0,width,height);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(0, width,height,0, -1, 1);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
glViewport(0,0,width,height);

this should make 1:1 mapping on the screen thus if your screen->width = 1024 + u draw something 32 units wide (32x64) this should appear to be 1/32th of the windows width (ie quite small)
also try to avoid glScale in this case to make it bigger

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

So you saying that since I use glvertex2f(1,1) that really is only 1 pixel big, and then I should use glvertex2f(128,64)
to fix the problem?

I never think of that! Thanks!

I try now!

OK, this works better now, but I still need scale to mirror image in correct direction.

I am using :
glVertex2d(32,64); // Top Right
glVertex2d(-32,64); // Top Left
glVertex2d(-32,-64); // Bottom Left
glVertex2d(32,-64); // Bottom Right
(but I did have)
glVertex2d(1,1); // Top Right
glVertex2d(-1,1); // Top Left
glVertex2d(-1,-1); // Bottom Left
glVertex2d(1,-1); // Bottom Right

which in perspective mode have the textures looking OK, no need to do anything special to fix them.

Now I am getting overlap for some reason, I use:
for(y=0;y<7;y++)
for(x=0;x<20;x++)
{
Xpos=((float)x*32.0);
Ypos= ((float)(y*64.0));
glTranslatef ( Xpos,Ypos,0);
glScalef(-1,1,1);
...(gltexcoord & vertext stuff here)
to draw, and since I have x loop= 640/32=20 cols, and y loop 480/64=~7 rows, should it not draw correct now?

Hmm, it wasn''t overlap, it was a problem (still is?) with the blend function I use. When I do
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_COLOR,GL_DST_ALPHA ); I get a weird horizontal stripe alternating in different shades...

When I use
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
Then all is OK (so far, I don''t get that pattern above).

I am still plugging away though

Thanks again for the info/tips!