Realtime Hair in 3D Character

Started by
12 comments, last by yanuart 22 years, 3 months ago
Yeah, well, this really wasn''t a PS2vGCNvXBox debate anyway. I just don''t understand where that level of hype came from -- to make someone on the GameDev.net forums believe that it''s as powerful as any PC in existence.
---signature---People get ready.I'm ready to play.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by MENTAL
Moe: i think you mean string model, unless you want to use seriously styled hair .

You know what I mean. You could use a spring model for the hair if you want the hair to be springy.

Moe''s site
And to add to my above post, it''s not as though every developer in the world has the time, money and energy to take complete advantage of the PS2. I think several PS2 developers are putting on a brave face about it because they know that the PS2 is where the money is. You can talk about streaming textures and 48GB/s buses all you want, it still sounds like a crap setup to me. It''s the least powerful console this generation and you have to try way to hard just to take advantage of the limited power it offers.

I mean, you have companies that have spent the first year developing the game, and you have companies (ahem -- Naughty Dog) who spent the first year developing tools to aid in development for their game. Guess who carried the PS2 during it''s first year? It wasn''t Naughty Dog.

And now we have a situation where a company can literally make a living off of selling tools for PS2 development. I don''t mean to get into a huge rant about this, but implying that other developers are lazy simply because they don''t want to tackle that behemoth of a machine when there are simpler options out there.
---signature---People get ready.I'm ready to play.
quote:Original post by a person
the dreamcast is technical superior than ps2. with hardware decompression of textures, twice the vram, and the swooby powervr2 chipset with differed rendering of polys (only chipset that does rendering this way, though it hurts alpha blending performance a bit).

If powervr were that good, we''d all be using Kyro cards instead of ATI''s and nVidias.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement