Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

intrest86

TrianleStrips in a Cube...

What is the best way to assign the vertices of a triangle strip to get a cube? I already made a strip that goes all around the cube with 16 vertices, but not all of the vertices are in the correct rotation, so my culling messes up! Thanks to anyne who helps!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not sure if it helps, but check out http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/gvil/papers/av_ts.pdf .

lemming

G''day!

Tutorial #5 uses Triangle Lists though. It is possible to draw a cube using Triangle Strips, but the small performance gain is out-weighed by the hassle.

Assuming you want to texture this cube, you probably don''t want 1 continuous texture across the whole thing, and if you do then you have to make sure your texture coordinates are setup properly which is difficult to do in this situation.

Cubes are evil. Most often you want different textures for each cube face so you need to duplicate the vertices anyway. Just about any object you would ever draw would have a continous texture across all the vertices. Cubes turn out to be the pathological cases for many optimized drawing methods.

Unless you have a really good reason not to, skip the strips and use a list.

NOTE: I''m really sleepy, so I hope the above is clear and understandable.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena