Nice looking controls in WinXP

Started by
7 comments, last by smidge_tech 22 years, 3 months ago
I notice that when I compile my applications under WinXP, the controls such as buttons, check boxes etc. still have the old style to them and not the rounded, cute-style of Windows XP normally. Do I have to link with a different library to get nice new-looking controls in my applications? Any help appreciated, Thanks, ======== Smidge ========
--Mr Smidge
Advertisement
You need to write a manifest file to indicate that your application is aware of version 6 of the common controls dll. I did some digging on MSDN and found this article which might be helpful to you:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I''m not too sure about this, mainly because I haven''t gotten it to work for me. Now, if I was following the docs correctly, you have to write and XML manifest telling windows the your application wants to use the new comctl32.dll.

I found the docs really hard to follow, but check them out at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp?frame=true

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
Thanks, that''s what I need.

What will happen though if I compile an application like that to use the new styles but it is then run on an older OS like Win98 for instance?

Will it still run or throw up errors?

Cheers,

========
Smidge
========
--Mr Smidge
I don''t think it works.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
I''m pretty sure the article says that it will degrade gracefully on the lesser OS''s - eg you''ll get the standard controls.

Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism or Microsoft-bashing) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward - Edward Abbey
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
OK, i tried to do a post here but all the text kept getting messed up coz it contains XML, and i don't know how to make it stop. So i have put a text file in the net that you can download that should explain it all. nice and easy.

Go to this address then download the manifest.txt file.

http://www.geocities.com/bigpies/

I don't seem to have any other way to get it to work without my internet explorer messing it all up trying in interpret the XML.

Pies

Edited by - pies on January 2, 2002 9:40:50 AM
Just copy and paste this to a file called yourapp.exe.manifest. Follow the instructions in the Platform SDK (which you should have) to make it a resource in your project.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><assemblyIdentity    version="0.0.0.0"    processorArchitecture="X86"    name="YourCompany.YourAppName"    type="win32"/><description>Your App's Name</description><dependency>    <dependentAssembly>        <assemblyIdentity            type="win32"            name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"            version="6.0.0.0"            processorArchitecture="X86"            publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"            language="*"        />    </dependentAssembly></dependency></assembly>  

Edited by - merlin9x9 on January 2, 2002 9:47:18 AM
Works perfect - thanks a lot guys.

========
Smidge
========
--Mr Smidge

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement