Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myst was programmed in...

This topic is 5821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that Myst was primarily programmed using a 3D Modelling program. I was wondering if anyone knows what the rest of the Myst series (Riven and Exile) was programmed in, especially RealMyst. Also, does anyone know what Schizm was programmed in? Thanks!

There was a post-mortem for Myst III in one of the recent Game Developer magazines. You could check Gamasutra for it, or I''ll dig it out when I get home if it''s not there. I would assume that it was C/C++ & OpenGL since it was a PC/Mac simultaneous release.

As far as the original is concerned, it was done in a modified version of hypercard. The only role that the 3d modelling program played in the creation of the game was for pre-rendering the graphics. If I remember correctly, they switched to a straight C engine when they ported it off of the Mac platform.

They''re coming for you!

TO be honest, i thought the first Myst was lame. ALl thye had to do was pre-render the image and build a basic linked tree for navigation. Making certain things do stuff would be harder i guess, but the point stands. And the ending was terrible...

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

quote:
Original post by Promit
TO be honest, i thought the first Myst was lame. ALl thye had to do was pre-render the image and build a basic linked tree for navigation. Making certain things do stuff would be harder i guess, but the point stands. And the ending was terrible...

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Oh Promit, don''t tell me that... I am waiting on an online order of Myst and Riven to come in... and now your telling me the ending is terrible in Myst... arghhhh!

I played Myst III Exile and feel in love, I am very keen on one day making my own Myst type game.. though I wish I could draw..

(Rummages through magazine collection )

From the postmortem for Myst III(October 2001 Game Developer Magazine), the programming environments they used were Codewarrior and MSVC++, so it almost assuredly was C/C++. Other technologies on the programming side were Bink, Miles and Quicktime.

Primarily pre-rendered and video footage for the graphics with some effects done real-time.

They''re coming for you!

quote:
Original post by pwd
(Rummages through magazine collection )

From the postmortem for Myst III(October 2001 Game Developer Magazine), the programming environments they used were Codewarrior and MSVC++, so it almost assuredly was C/C++. Other technologies on the programming side were Bink, Miles and Quicktime.

Primarily pre-rendered and video footage for the graphics with some effects done real-time.

They''re coming for you!

Thanks pwd!

That is very useful info and exactly what I wanted to hear, Thanks again!

quote:
Original post by Invader X
I thought Myst''s ending was good. It was set up for a sequel. After I beat Riven I went back and tried to view all possible endings.

I''m in the process of playing Exile.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

What stage of Exile are you at Invader X?

I don''t wont to give anything away, but I want to ask how you went on a certain puzzle... I was totally lost on..

Since I got Exile and CivIII at the same time and have been spending more time on CivIII, I''m still *just* beginning. I discovered the guy''s diary and played around with the elevator in the same room. I''ve also got the light shining on the door with the 5 buttons (but haven''t got it open yet.)

I need to get a new note pad to write stuff down!

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

quote:
Original post by Invader X
Since I got Exile and CivIII at the same time and have been spending more time on CivIII, I''m still *just* beginning. I discovered the guy''s diary and played around with the elevator in the same room. I''ve also got the light shining on the door with the 5 buttons (but haven''t got it open yet.)

I need to get a new note pad to write stuff down!

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

Yeah, a note pad is a must... I am so itching to give you hints but I will refrain from doing so... all the best with completing Exile.