Myst was programmed in...

Started by
12 comments, last by Whisk 22 years, 3 months ago
I know that Myst was primarily programmed using a 3D Modelling program. I was wondering if anyone knows what the rest of the Myst series (Riven and Exile) was programmed in, especially RealMyst. Also, does anyone know what Schizm was programmed in? Thanks!
Advertisement
HyperCard... Duh...
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
quote:Original post by Andrew Nguyen
HyperCard... Duh...

Andrew, can you tell me something I don''t already know!

There was a post-mortem for Myst III in one of the recent Game Developer magazines. You could check Gamasutra for it, or I''ll dig it out when I get home if it''s not there. I would assume that it was C/C++ & OpenGL since it was a PC/Mac simultaneous release.

As far as the original is concerned, it was done in a modified version of hypercard. The only role that the 3d modelling program played in the creation of the game was for pre-rendering the graphics. If I remember correctly, they switched to a straight C engine when they ported it off of the Mac platform.

They''re coming for you!
TO be honest, i thought the first Myst was lame. ALl thye had to do was pre-render the image and build a basic linked tree for navigation. Making certain things do stuff would be harder i guess, but the point stands. And the ending was terrible...

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
quote:Original post by Promit
TO be honest, i thought the first Myst was lame. ALl thye had to do was pre-render the image and build a basic linked tree for navigation. Making certain things do stuff would be harder i guess, but the point stands. And the ending was terrible...

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Oh Promit, don''t tell me that... I am waiting on an online order of Myst and Riven to come in... and now your telling me the ending is terrible in Myst... arghhhh!

I played Myst III Exile and feel in love, I am very keen on one day making my own Myst type game.. though I wish I could draw..

I don''t know. I thought the first Myst was pretty good for the time and the series only got better. BTW Which ending di you get? The ones where you get trapped in the books are pretty lame...
(Rummages through magazine collection )

From the postmortem for Myst III(October 2001 Game Developer Magazine), the programming environments they used were Codewarrior and MSVC++, so it almost assuredly was C/C++. Other technologies on the programming side were Bink, Miles and Quicktime.

Primarily pre-rendered and video footage for the graphics with some effects done real-time.

They''re coming for you!
quote:Original post by pwd
(Rummages through magazine collection )

From the postmortem for Myst III(October 2001 Game Developer Magazine), the programming environments they used were Codewarrior and MSVC++, so it almost assuredly was C/C++. Other technologies on the programming side were Bink, Miles and Quicktime.

Primarily pre-rendered and video footage for the graphics with some effects done real-time.

They''re coming for you!

Thanks pwd!

That is very useful info and exactly what I wanted to hear, Thanks again!
alot of these "point-click-go ''wow'' " games are actually done with
director-like programs.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement