Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fireball Effect

This topic is 5825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a way to create a fireball effect using directx? What I basically want is something like a fireball or like a rocket exhaust trail that will not involve a lot of calculations but looks nice as well. I''ve tried doing things like taking faces and then sticking them together so you have a sort of 3D X shape, but it doesn''t look nice and there seems to be a problem with the alpha blending because one side blends in nicely but the other side looks as if alpha blending was disabled. This is what I mean: (please excuse my crummy diagram) 1 2 __ __ \ \/ / \__\/ / /\ /__/\_\ 3 4 THat wuold be the 3D "X" I mentioned that I created by sticking two faces diagonally into eachother. The side 1 and 3 would belnd in nicely (since this would have a plasma-like texture so it''s semi-transparent) but then side 2 and 4 wouldnt, side 2 would appear to have had alpha blending turned off

Instead of making an X make like a + with another plane through it. Like so

----+----

ok the *s are a plane with its face facing you the -s are another plane through the first plane with its edge facing you and the |s are one last plane through the second plane with its edge facing you. There is a tutorial on how to do thin to make sort of a plasma energy blast in blender in the tutorials in the blender community ( blender3d.com)

Now this may work for fire balls but probably not for rocket trails, for that just implement a particle system. And the alpha blending may be getting messed up because of back face culling.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.

Edited by - TheRealMAN11 on January 1, 2002 10:08:37 PM

The best way to do effects like the one you speak of is by using a particle system. Richard "Keebler" Benson created a pretty advanced particle system with diffrent effects and source code in direct X. You can download it off of http://www.particlesystems.com/html/pchamber.html