Programmer AND artist?

Started by
30 comments, last by Stefpet 24 years, 2 months ago
I''m wondering... how many are there (like me) that is both into programming AND graphics? And I mean programming more than knowing basic and graphics more than drawing dummy tiles, etc. I believe it''s even more seldom at a true professional level than here at gamedev.
Advertisement
I am a coder as well as a artist. Artist first, but to see my work in a "interactive" enviroment I had to learn (still learning) how to code my own stuff.
Job description : Duct Tape
I am a straight coder now, but I originally was an artist and a designer. The only graphics I do now is simple 2D and logos with Moray and POV ray.

Domini
I do everything on Quaternion. Not by choice, but by neccessity. I'd love to have some good, talented help.

Artists - want to help me?

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!
www.spin-studios.com

Edited by - mason on 1/31/00 6:17:56 PM
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
I''m deffenately both. I have a very vissual mind. That helps me "see" the flow of a program and notice where there are "bad" spots where data''s not being validated enough. It also, of course, helps me to draw. Not to brag but people are always supprised both by what I can program and what I can draw. On the downside, I have a VERY hard time with names and numbers. Almost all my programs have spelling mistakes in the interface. Programming languages have a limited set of reserved words so it''s a lot easier to remember.

I''ve noticed that a lot of the people that I know that think vissualy are good at programming and art. You need a good deal of creativity for both as well.

(of course practice is #1 for learning anything.)

E:cb woof!
Started getting into coding when at university, but after recently getting trueSpace 3 I am enjoying getting into graphics.

It''s nice to do a bit of both.
I don''t know if Mason agrees, but it''s also very convenient to be a programmer and also have some artistic skills. Of course having a dedicated artist may free up more coding time, but to be able to do graphics yourself for your projects I think is a plus (not talking about multimillion dollars projects).

Going from a one person team to be a coder and an artist is quite a big step and the reason to fail because of communication problems increases rapidly in my opinion.
Ukrainian huh? My grandparents on my dad''s side are Ukrainian. (My last name''s Michalski)

I only use pirated software if there''s no way I''d pay for it otherwise. I could get some games from some friends but the games are good and they''re not that expensive so I pay for them. However, some Micro$oft software is way above what I would ever pay for it, especialy since I rarely ever use it, so I use copies of them.

I''ve been writing code for years, and after graduating from Highschool I enrolled in an art and design school. I graduated from there with a degree in new media and a focus on conceptual sculpture. I continue to have multiple shows of my work each year as well as perform my music while being employed as a software engineer. I find certain types of companies (startups, multimedia, web, .com''s) enjoy my skills. In fact, most companies seem to be really interested in my desire to work on those two areas in tandem..

Just do whatchawantandwhenyouwantto. That''s what life should be.
One of my biggest hold backs from becoming an artist professionaly is that I''m color blind. Sucks. It can be so frustrating being a color blind artist.

And I''m not red-green color blind. It''s almost like I''m looking through a green lense. Greens will look white (green on a stop light), yellow (like 100% green on a computer screen), sometimes green (grass), or brown (if it''s really dark).
Red almost always looks brown unless it''s a really pure, light red. Pink will look either red or gray, depending on the shade.

Needless to say, I''m dangerous behind the wheel. I''ve ran strait through stop signs before because it blends in with the trees behind it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement