mp3 Licensing

Started by
7 comments, last by Crash 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys, Im currently adding an mpp3 feature to my latest game, Bad Boys 2, and I was told somewhere on these forums that if I was using mp3s I would need to license it. Is this right? Do I have to get a license to use mp3s in my game even if its free? If so do I need to license my use of.md3 files as well? Im not using anyone elses code (like Id''s) but do I still need to play because I am using their format? If I do have to pay how much will this roughly cost me? Hopeing Someone Knows, Crash, "We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000 "If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
Advertisement
Honestly it all depends on how it's implemented. For instance if you implement mp3 playing using Microsoft's Direct Show, You don't have to pay a licence fee. Microsoft already paid that fee for you. However if you make your own mp3 decoding scheme you will have to pay for the licence. If you use something other than the above 2 suggestions like another mp3 decoding library you'll have to contact the creator and see if the fee has already been paid or not. If not you'll have to pay.

As for the fee it self I beleive it's somewhere around $2,000.00 USD. You'll have to verify that though.

Edited by - evaclear on January 2, 2002 11:39:09 AM
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
You might want to take a look at OGG. It''s the same concept as MP3, sounds as good, compresses as good, and there are no royalties.

http:\\www.vorbis.com
How about md3 files?

If I have to pay a licensing fee for them, do I ahve to pay for md2? Seein as how the source is freely available now.

Hoping,
Crash,
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
quote:Original post by evaclear
For instance if you implement mp3 playing using Microsoft''s Direct Show, You don''t have to pay a licence fee. Microsoft already paid that fee for you... As for the fee it self I beleive it''s somewhere around $2,000.00 USD.

wow, microsoft paid 2 grand for me?
hmm, maybe bill gates isn''t the devil!

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:wow, microsoft paid 2 grand for me?
hmm, maybe bill gates isn''t the devil!

Yes he is. He mearly used that as a bit of insentive to get your soul.
Relevant page: http://mp3licensing.com/help/developer.html
Thanks for the link HenryApe, but I think Ivesold taht problem now. I''ll let Bill settle the bill.

But does anyone know about md3 licensing?
As I understand it, the file format itself is not copyrighted. Any code/apps that id may have released using those formats are, however copyrighted.

So, you''d have to write/find your own loaders/editors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement