OS limits on incoming socket connections

Started by
11 comments, last by Shed 22 years, 3 months ago
Somebody mentioned the memory thing a long time ago but it was never verified. Thanks.

Ben

Advertisement
Well, where I work we have several server products and according to experience, we can handle up to 3000 open sockets in Win NT.

As for memory.
We have a CVS server running on win NT (or win 2000) and when a person starts pulling downloads at a no delay rate (meaning he makes loads of connections) the VM memory goes up to about 500 mb.

Any good machine should be able to do more than 100 connections
"There is a $500 fine for detonating explosives within the confines of a city"
If there was a 10 connection limit, think about these online gameservers (Q3, HL), Heck, I''ve seen up to 64ppl on some tribes2 servers. The 10 connection limit they speak of applies to telnet, terminal services and I think their FIle/Printer sharing thing.

One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
--------------------------One problem with the programmer''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement