Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hollowMedia

Are people using DirectPlay?

Or do you generally stick with Winsock TCP/IP? I tried to look through the DirectPlay examples and they were quite overwhelming. I don''t understand the appeal since TCP/IP is so easy.

TCP is easy if all you want is to transmit data. If you care about performance, you''ll probably want to use UDP. Using UDP on a generic level is simple, but adding the features to it that DPlay has is not so easy.

I guess to answer your first question, I''m using Directplay. It has a lot of features that I don''t really need or care for, but it also has a good subset of features that I do like. And on top of that it is a pretty well designed interface.

DP for me, it''s uch easier than using Winsock API from VB..
Once you get DP running, sending messages/packets is easy.

Well then, as a piggy-back question, are you using DirectPlay 8? If so, did you just use the MS examples, the SDK Documentation, or did you find a tutorial/book that had solid info?

Thanks!

DirectPlay8 all the way. I checked the SDK samples, copied and pasted a few lines, and got it working. Sending stuff is always the same, so when I got that right once, I could just copy it from a module.. (VB is easier than C++ I guess)

I wrote a tutorial (for VB) about DP8, on http://www.vbexplorer.com/directx4vb

I''m current using DirectPlay8 for a game soon to be released. I had to learn networking from scratch before starting on this project and since the rest of the game was using DirectX8 I decided to go with the flow.

The SDK examples are a valuable resource, most of what I have learned came from them. They may appear to be heavy going but are actually quiet simple in principle.

Personally I think DP has its place but I would not consider using it again for a RTS style game. I found that it encapulates far to much and does not give me the control I desire. No to mention it does not help with protability.