Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Points to vectors to matrices

This topic is 5823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m having real trouble making this correlation. I know what points and vectors are in definition. What I don''t understand is, from what I can tell, you write a point as x,y,z and you write a vector as x, y, z. This is puzzling, since vectors have a magnitude and direction. How can I tell that from x,y,z? Next is vectors to matrices. How a vector becomes a 3x3 matrix or what is contained in a 3x3 matrix is beyond me. And yes, I have books. They detail formulas out very nicely. But the holes in their explanations are described above. I mainly see sections on points, vectors, and matrices. But not how they go together or even if they do. subnet_rx

"There are two types of langages, those that everyone bitches about, and those that no one uses."

C++ Standardized Libraries
C++ Programming help
The only news site on the web

just for an update on this. I just found an excellent beginner article on matrices. I now understand (correct me if I'm wrong), there is no difference on paper between a point and a vector. And matrices are made up of vectors, such that, a point on a 3D cube going in three directions would be one matrix.

subnet_rx

"There are two types of langages, those that everyone bitches about, and those that no one uses."

Standardized C++ Libraries
C++ Programming help
The only news site on the web

Edited by - subnet_rx on January 2, 2002 10:39:00 PM