Points to vectors to matrices

Started by
0 comments, last by subnet_rx 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m having real trouble making this correlation. I know what points and vectors are in definition. What I don''t understand is, from what I can tell, you write a point as x,y,z and you write a vector as x, y, z. This is puzzling, since vectors have a magnitude and direction. How can I tell that from x,y,z? Next is vectors to matrices. How a vector becomes a 3x3 matrix or what is contained in a 3x3 matrix is beyond me. And yes, I have books. They detail formulas out very nicely. But the holes in their explanations are described above. I mainly see sections on points, vectors, and matrices. But not how they go together or even if they do. subnet_rx

"There are two types of langages, those that everyone bitches about, and those that no one uses."

C++ Standardized Libraries

C++ Programming help
The only news site on the web
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
Advertisement
just for an update on this. I just found an excellent beginner article on matrices. I now understand (correct me if I'm wrong), there is no difference on paper between a point and a vector. And matrices are made up of vectors, such that, a point on a 3D cube going in three directions would be one matrix.

subnet_rx

"There are two types of langages, those that everyone bitches about, and those that no one uses."

Standardized C++ Libraries
C++ Programming help
The only news site on the web

Edited by - subnet_rx on January 2, 2002 10:39:00 PM

"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement