Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graphic muds?

This topic is 5821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, im wanting to create a graphical mud in DarkBASIC(http://www.darkbasic.com). What I want to know is, how do I make a gmud?? I dont know how one is supposed to work. Im sure i could set it up all from my head, but Im wondering if there are any "standards". What i want to know is if there are any tuts out there, it really doesnt matter for what lang..

Dark BASIC is for ppl who don''t want to learn and are not intersting in programming. In other words Dark BASIC is for loosers who are scared from programming and don''t know the abc of making games.

darkbasic is for losers who dont want spend hours with c++, who do it only for fun, and who expect people like you to fuck off, you who has probably made crap if anything in whatever it is you program with(gwbasic maybe..hmm..).

hmm 4 posts in this forum.. must be a popular guy, the guy who plays f22 lightning cuz he cant make his own damn game. Even with such a great language as you use...

sorry to all u other pplz, i just get emotional when losers rip on a product they have never used.. most likely this loser DID use darkbasic, and for a long time, but left. cuz he couldnt grasp the whole "programming thing". DarkBASIC is NOT for beginners as most people would think, even tho thats what the company boasts.. i find it very hard just to come out with a good looking product, and thats not a rip on the language, its because one does have to put a lot of time into what hes doing, no matter the language.

What the fuck do u mean "who are scared from programming and don't know the abc of making games.", what the hell do u think darkbasic was created for!! damnit i hate stupid people.

Edited by - Jerico2day on January 2, 2002 12:16:50 AM

Calm down. The world is full of pricks; if you get overly worked up over each one of them, you''ll simply die young.

I don''t know about tutorials or any specific info, but I think you could search on Google, SourceForge.net and The Linux Games Tome (http://www.happypenguin.org). You should be able to find a few MUDs (with source code) and look at both their design and implementation.

Good luck.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I want to make a game similar to HALO in GW-BASIC, but I don''t know anything at all.
Can anyone point me to a tutorial about this? Any language would be fine (except C++, because that is for losers who spend time learning instead of just being naturally 31334).

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I want to make a game similar to HALO in GW-BASIC, but I don''t know anything at all.
Can anyone point me to a tutorial about this? Any language would be fine (except C++, because that is for losers who spend time learning instead of just being naturally 31334).

Hmmm... are you so scared that you can''t at least log on and use your username to post idiotic comments, don''t you know that you should always stand by what you say?

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

quote:
Original post by StrikerNR
Dark BASIC is for ppl who don''t want to learn and are not intersting in programming. In other words Dark BASIC is for loosers who are scared from programming and don''t know the abc of making games.

Dark Basic is just a way too simplify the game loop so people who want to create DX apps without having to learn C/C++ and then DX and then blah blah blah as usual. I have to say that I don''t really like it but that doesn''t mean that it''s not a viable solution for people who just want to get on with programming their games. Now instead of posting dumb bullshit, why don''t you learn what you''re talking about before posting and if you don''t like what I just said, shove it..

Cyberdrek

"gitty up" -- Kramer

quote:
Original post by Jerico2day
Hello all, im wanting to create a graphical mud in DarkBASIC(http://www.darkbasic.com). What I want to know is, how do I make a gmud?? I dont know how one is supposed to work. Im sure i could set it up all from my head, but Im wondering if there are any "standards". What i want to know is if there are any tuts out there, it really doesnt matter for what lang..

Ok, sorry, had to bash a couple of idiots before posting. Now, one thing about MUDs, first, if you make them graphical, they aren''t called MUDs anymore they''re called MMORPG, next, You do a search on these board, I''m about pretty sure somebody had already asked that question. If not, you can lookup the articles section for anything regarding TCP/IP or networking. Third, as pointed out, do a search on the net for something like "MUD programming" or something of the likes and you should find what you are looking for. Sorry I can''t give you a better answer as I''ve never created MUDs, only Doors in the old BBS days. Again, sorry.. .

Cyberdrek

"gitty up" -- Kramer

quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
Hmmm... are you so scared that you can''t at least log on and use your username to post idiotic comments, don''t you know that you should always stand by what you say?

my bad. it seems like a waste of time to type in a username and password just to poke fun at someone.
thank you for teaching me how to be a man.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I doubt you''ll find anything on graphical muds, but there''s lots of material on text muds.

For starters, try:
http://www.gignews.com/morrow1.htm
http://www.gignews.com/morrow2.htm

I was trying to find the ROM source code last night(I wanted to see if they just cycled through all the objects per tick, or used a more event driven model) when I came across these articles. The contents of the articles were pretty much useless but they contain lots of useful links.

I don''t know how you''re going to the multiplayer part since the DarkBASIC FAQ says:
Q: Will you be able to include multiplayer in the games?
A: The first version of DarkBASIC will not have multiplayer or internet capability. We have already written the code, but to implement it would have delayed the scheduled release of version one by several months. Instead, we have decided to produce a seperate multiplayer upgrade for existing users that will provide a new command set, tools, tutorials, examples and sample games that will give you the best chance of understanding how multiplayer actually works.

I wonder if they''ve made provisions to interface with external code in DarkBASIC, so you can do the client/server in C++.

Heh. Try getting a single player version of your mud working first before you worry about multiplayer

There''s a fair number of graphical MUDs out there - they tend to have an anime feel too them - look like the orginal NES Final Fantasy... 3D MUDs are rarer, and tend to big large commercial projects.

Try searching around for graphical MOO and MUSH as well.

np thanx guys i checked out some faqs that were pointed to in one of those links u guys gave me all the nfo i needed to know! if u stick around for a couple months, maybe i will post my results! thanx again!

Judgin'' by your original question, I''d say you''re in over your head. Start small... unless you''ve already got a few games under your belt. Try out a simple text adventure and work your way up.

As for DarkBasic, I''ve seen it and although it''s interesting it''s not powerful enuff for serious games... BUT for not so serious games made simply for the fun of it, it could be a great solution. But, like I said, you need to start from the bottom.

Anywayz, Good luck!

- Jay

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

Get Tranced!

quote:
Original post by Jerico2day
np thanx guys i checked out some faqs that were pointed to in one of those links u guys gave me all the nfo i needed to know! if u stick around for a couple months, maybe i will post my results! thanx again!

Don''t worry, most of the people who gave you answers that were worth something have actually been here for quite some time now and I doubt any of us will leave any time soon. At least, to me, this is my second home... Heck I almost visit this site more often than I should... Anyhow, best of luck in the creation of your Graphical MUD or MMORPG which ever you go on making but be patient as MUDs, MOOs, MUSHs, MMORPGs all require alot of time to code.

Cyberdrek

"gitty up" -- Kramer