what books should i buy?

Started by
5 comments, last by smoose777 22 years, 3 months ago
im about to plunge into the wonderful world of game programming with c++ and was wondering if anyone had any books that they suggest i read, that are, of course, for beginners. i've read the books section of this site and still couldn't decide on what book would be the best. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I know very basic C++ console, and am learning Win32 C++. even if it assumes i know c++, it's ok because i AM going to learn it. I just want some ideas, i was thinking about getting the guru book, any other ideas? i don't know anything about OpenGL or DirectX so any books that include them are fine. im new Edited by - smoose777 on January 3, 2002 3:13:50 PM
im new
Advertisement
so do you know C++ or do you have to learn that too? Cause I don''t wanna suggest books that assume knowledge of C/C++ if you don''t know it

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media (coming GDC 2002)
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If you''re a beginner in C++ or not I recommend C++ For Dummies Pocket Reference. It''s only about $6 and it''s small enough to sit on your desk as a reference piece.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus! You will not regret it! You need to know C/C++ prior to reading it though, but it''s the same for all other game programming books I believe!
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus is an excellent book.

I just got it for Xmas & I have loved every page so far (chapter 3).

You do need some C/C++ experience, I''m a second year Computer Science student with mostly Java experience so I need to keep my C++ Refrence guide beside me.

I do have some C++ experience, and I highly recommend that you have a decent understanding it.
Let''s all just remember that the model of DirectX used in Tricks is way out of date. It wouldn''t have been so bad if DirectDraw hadn''t merged with D3D in version 8, but it did. The general concepts should still be the same, but I don''t think you call DirectDraw the same way anymore...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

No directdraw? Well it has to be backwards compatible anyway, so just call it the same way as before with dx7''s interface... I guess.

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement